external HD 320gig Maxtor issue!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
im using external HD 320 gig usb hub maxtor, and...

at first im using Mac OS extended (journaled), it work's fine, fast and no problem on detecting the HD

but it wont work on PC, cuz its mac format...

so i erased it with disk uttility to MS dos, my pc can recognize it...

but its slow while detecting, and sometime it crashed when i want to eject it..and have to force shut down my Mac...

is it true that fat 32 format is compatible on mac os tiger...10.48 (updated)

or not quite..in fact its SLOW, ALWAYS CRASHED, AND DANGEROUS! >.<

should i change it back to mac extended format, or what?

1 more thing when im using photoshop, and use the filter, it's stop and keep waiting

for the ex HD 320GIG maxtor to respond... how could that be...it doesnt make sense...

cuz its an exsternal HD...external ! ...!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    FAT isn't slow for me in OSX...

I personally never use Maxtors because I think the quality is bad. I've gotten a few too many bad hard drives from them in the past few years.

This sounds a bit like a failing hard drive to me. It has nothing to do with the filesystem. Try to format it back to Mac Extended (Journaled) and see if the problems are still happening. If yes: point your finger at the hard drive.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    imon4imon4 Posts: 22member
    is there a way so that my pc will detect my maxtor, without FAT32 format?

FAT32 is more likely to crash than mac format...and its kinda slow to detect and such...

i dont know, maybe i have to "point my %#%@ finger at the hard drive." hahaha damn! T T
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If you want Windows to read it, FAT is your only option, really.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Could format it in mac os x extended and install macdrive on your PC..

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I was running under the assumption that he didn't want to spend $50. And it does slow down reading/writing files under XP a little bit... or so I've heard.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Format the drive as an NTFS volume under Windows and then access the the drive as a network share.