Netflix to offer downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I meant to say "streaming" downloads... See story.

More competition from one of the biggies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    before the expo, Digg's kevin rose appeared on geekbrief... he mentioned a rumor, but was quick to point out it was only a rumor, that Netflix and Apple were going to hook up and allow streaming downloads on the aTV.

Netflix did announce that they want to eventually have downloads available on all OS platforms as well as set top boxes. i really do think the aTV would be perfect for this. it would stream straight to the aTV, not through your computer, so no piracy worries... and it would bring some badly needed value to the aTV. it's a beautiful box, but $300 is a bit much, to mainly be used for iTunes downloads (as most people don't know how to bring their own video in, not to mention the legal gray area with DVD content)

the only question.... would apple be interested in this? it would definitely take away from iTS movie sales, but on the other hand, if you want your content on an iPod you'd still have to buy it. and, again $300 is a lot for the features it currently offers, i can't imagine they're getting swamped with orders... but if they added Netflix with their 6+ million subscribers, they would fly off the shelves.

just a thought..
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Currently the Netflix streaming is PC only, requiring Windows.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...70117082726304
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This would be the perfect opportunity for Apple to tie TV and Netflix movie streaming to the television. It appears the Netflix streaming is mostly computer centric and not so television centric.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This would be the perfect opportunity for Apple to tie ?TV and Netflix movie streaming to the television. It appears the Netflix streaming is mostly computer centric and not so television centric.

I agree, but Netflix has their own plans and doesn't rely on Apple to hold their market leader position in DVD rentals.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree, but Netflix has their own plans and doesn't rely on Apple to hold their market leader position in DVD rentals.

but Netflix doesn't have hardware for use with a TV. and Apple needs more content to sell their hardware. the more i think about it, the more perfect i think this combination would be.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This would be the perfect opportunity for Apple to tie ?TV and Netflix movie streaming to the television. It appears the Netflix streaming is mostly computer centric and not so television centric.

As a feature of the aTV, sure. But Netflix can't state that streaming will be available for all customers and then tie it to a particular device.

Still $300 + Netflix subscription fee for at most 18 hours of streaming a month is a bit steep, IMO.