Airport Extreme question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I originally bought my Intel Mac Pro without an airport card because it would have delayed the shipping considerably. Does anyone know if the airport extreme cards you can buy in the store will work in the mac pro's? Are the cards currently available 802.11n?

Also if I have one of the new base stations that run at 802.11n, will it work with airport extremes that I currently use to extend the range?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hisham Samawi View Post

I originally bought my Intel Mac Pro without an airport card because it would have delayed the shipping considerably. Does anyone know if the airport extreme cards you can buy in the store will work in the mac pro's? Are the cards currently available 802.11n?

Also if I have one of the new base stations that run at 802.11n, will it work with airport extremes that I currently use to extend the range?

I guess only Apple's card specifically designed for the Mac Pro will fit into the special slot inside the Mac Pro. The other cards won't work. Ask the people in the Apple store about how much that card costs. Apple probably doesn't allow the end user installing the card so they would have to do it.

Apple's AirPort extreme card should be 11n compatible. The card will also work with your Extreme (Express?) base stations but only at 11g speeds (as those are probably 11g only, unless you have the new 11n base stations).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The MacPro airport module is not for sale on the Apple online Store. That card is for earlier PowerMacs.

You can buy the module in a real-life Apple store. And they will install it for you. One or two online retailers will sell you the kit.

C.

WARNING - Carrying a Mac Pro into an Apple Store may damage your lumbar vertebrae.