DVD Studio Pro/Mpeg Streamclip

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all,

I've bee trying to use Mpeg Streamclip to make files from a QT AVI video and can't seem to get it to fit on a DVD if I use a translated to DV file compressed in DVD Studio Pro (4). I can get it scrunched down using the M2v export in Streamclip, but then DVDSP willnot recognize the file. Isn't M2v what DVDSP uses for dvd creation? I know I've imported then before and had no problem.

Compressor is giving me fits because I get an "unable to connect to background process" error.

I wish there was some place that Apple easily listed useable codecs, but the manual is pretty slim on that information.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would suggest not using Mpeg Streamclip to compress your video to Mpeg but import the DV straight into DVD studio pro. You can use the built-in compressor when your build your disk.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post

I've bee trying to use Mpeg Streamclip to make files from a QT AVI video and can't seem to get it to fit on a DVD if I use a translated to DV file compressed in DVD Studio Pro (4). I can get it scrunched down using the M2v export in Streamclip, but then DVDSP willnot recognize the file. Isn't M2v what DVDSP uses for dvd creation? I know I've imported then before and had no problem.

Streamclip doesn't have an m2v export, it has a demultiplexer - it's just called export. This only splits a file that is already MPEG2 into video and audio. When you use it on non-MPEG2 files, it just makes dummy files with .m2v extensions, which won't be recognised by DVD SP. The only export formats are the 'save as' types you see.

What I would do is either what Ebby suggested or use a shareware program called Visual Hub to compress from the AVI direct to MPEG2. In fact, it will author it if you don't need chapters. The result of this should be a VOB. This needs to be demuxed in Streamclip using the m2v export and then that goes into DVD SP. If it's still too big, lower the quality slider in Visual Hub.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post

Compressor is giving me fits because I get an "unable to connect to background process" error.

Quit the background process by going into your Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities. I believe it's called compressord or something. Maybe it hung up or something.