Relational Database for Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have used macs all my life for music composition, recording, and MS Office and have always been happy. But now I am creating relational databases with forms, querys and tables and I am forced to use Access. I have used filemaker pro- but it is very limited and can not create complicated relationships. Although I also have a PC I would rather use a mac, is there Access for mac, if not how does it run through Virtual PC? How fast would my mac have to be to have it run well. Thinking of buying a Tibook would this handle it? Is Oracle or Sybase overkill or the only SQL choice I have? Thanks for any info

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    A TiBook should be able to run Access through VPC, but I always use MySQL when I need a relational database.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Same here MySQL with a PHP front end is very powerful.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by zappa:

<strong>I have used macs all my life for music composition, recording, and MS Office and have always been happy. But now I am creating relational databases with forms, querys and tables and I am forced to use Access. I have used filemaker pro- but it is very limited and can not create complicated relationships. Although I also have a PC I would rather use a mac, is there Access for mac, if not how does it run through Virtual PC? How fast would my mac have to be to have it run well. Thinking of buying a Tibook would this handle it? Is Oracle or Sybase overkill or the only SQL choice I have? Thanks for any info</strong><hr></blockquote>

FileMaker is a very powerful program the only relationships that I can think of that it has problems with is many to many, but if you know how to program for FM you can easily get around this limitation.

Daniel
  • Reply 4 of 14
    jpfjpf Posts: 167member
    Do you want to enter SQL queries?

If you want Free SQL, go with mysql or postgres.

If you want commercial SQL, go with Oracle or Sybase.

If you want a database fast and easy, FileMaker.

Don't bother with VPC with Access. Access is really a bad database. Another MS crap product.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    use oracle or postgressql

mysql is a joke for relational db's

its great for stuff where you need data quickly

but if you are designing schemas where data

integrity is paramount then the above 2 are

the best choices at the moment

oracle is still a dev release so i would

pick postgres

stay away from access...its NOT a rdbms

feel free to msg me if you need help with oracle
  • Reply 6 of 14
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    [quote]Originally posted by madmax559:

<strong>use oracle or postgressql

mysql is a joke for relational db's

its great for stuff where you need data quickly

but if you are designing schemas where data

integrity is paramount then the above 2 are

the best choices at the moment

oracle is still a dev release so i would

pick postgres

stay away from access...its NOT a rdbms

feel free to msg me if you need help with oracle</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree with your comments on MySQL. Just use InnoDB to get ACID and you will have a decent database. This guy doesn't want to build a fortune 100 company around the thing, so Oracle is certainly overkill (better spend that $$$ on RAID-1 :cool: ). Postgres is more difficult to use and has less support, so I think he should go for MySQL if he does wants to go the SQL route.

Personally I think he should give Filemaker another chance. Daniel, are there any books or other resources that Zappa can use to learn Filemaker programming?

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: wfzelle ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I too would choose FMP 6 or MySQL/PHP. I use both in OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by wfzelle:

<strong>

I disagree with your comments on MySQL. Just use InnoDB to get ACID and you will have a decent database. This guy doesn't want to build a fortune 100 company around the thing, so Oracle is certainly overkill .

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: wfzelle ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

fair enough....i wasnt thinking of innoddb

i think innodb still doesnt do nested queries..

i may be wrong on that one.

the reason i suggested oracle is...despite a steep learning curve once you "get" sql every other db is a piece of cake and i was under the

impression he was looking to learn

btw oracle is free as long its not deployed in

production so its a great tool to learn on....
  • Reply 9 of 14
    There are also <a href="http://www.frontbase.com"; target="_blank">FrontBase</a> and <a href="http://www.openbase.com"; target="_blank">OpenBase</a>. I have no personal experience with either, but both have fairly good reputations from what I've heard.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Yeah, the only thing Filemaker lacks is many-to-many relations. You can get around that, though, by using a 'manager' database to handle the requests for the data in the other file. So:

Main DB &lt;-&gt; Manager DB &lt;-&gt; Data DB

... to get your many-to-many relationships. It's not the prettiest way, but I've done it successfully.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Hi there.

Relational or not relational?

Why not: Is Access good enough for the job?

It look like you have some experience with access allready. And Access is a wonderful tool when it comes to setting up tables, forms and reports.

So do you need to use anything else then. Why not try Access on Mac in Virtual PC. Have not tested it but I'm quite sure it will work fine.

The benefits:

You can use a tool you allready know.

Which mean you will create whatever you want faster.

If you find out laiter that you want to change, then do it laiter.

I'm a PC user now. But are to buy a apple computer soon with Virtual PC installed.

Now I'm using mySql and PHP4 in a web-project. MySql and PHP4 is a really great combination. But if you are not allready familiar with MySql, PHP or any other databases... why should you change into something else if Access works fine for you????

If any questions... please ask.

Best luck with your project
  • Reply 12 of 14
    <a href="http://www.4d.com/products/68presentation.html"; target="_blank">4D</a> might be another solution (no personal experience).

An advantage of FileMaker and 4D is, that they are cross-platform Mac/Windows (which Access isn't).
  • Reply 13 of 14
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Another vote for Access via VPC. I have used Access for several years now, and it works fine. In VPC, I only encountered slowness when running queries on tables with 10,000+ records. Otherwise, it works fine.

Good luck.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Another vote for FileMaker, and against Access.