iPod trouble

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
yea, idk if any of you could help me with this. But I went to listen to my iPod today (its a G5 60 gig iPod) and it just wouldnt turn on.

..So yea I dont know whats going on. The unit refuses to turn on. I thought maybe it was a dead battery, but I plugged it into my computer and not only does the iPod still not turn on, the computer doesnt even recognize the unit plugged into it!

If it helps at all, earlier today I used an adapter that you plug into your iPod and you can play your music in your car by tuning into a dead radio station. Today was the first day I ever did that so idk if that has anything to do with it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moving to iPod and iTunes forum
  • Reply 2 of 5
    My 5G 60GB iPod did exactly that and it turned out to be a dead hard drive. It was still under warranty and I got it replaced.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    It's not looking good.

Unless you can try a different cable or a friend's computer or power up the iPod by its dock on a recharging speaker unit like the Altec''s, you might very well be looking at upgrading to the 80GB video iPod....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    My mini was doing that last month. I hadn't touched it for a number of months and I figured that the battery was really dead. But in my case, the iPod would mount -- though only for a few seconds, and then it would disappear again. I just left it plugged in, and it continued to mount and slip for a while. Eventually it stayed for long enough that I was able to re-format the drive and re-install the iPod drivers. Since then it's been charging just fine.

I don't know what to suggest if it's not mounting at all. As Bufftown suggests, a dead hard-drive seems like a reasonable diagnosis, but try just leaving it plugged into your computer for a while to see if it starts to load itself again.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    My 5G 30GB did this but i fixed by simply rebooting it, hold: MENU + SELECT for about 5 seconds and see if it fixes the problem. If not you can also try Disk Mode which is: SELECT + PLAY