Finder -- Removing "Open with" selections from Information Box drop down lists?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I make something in Photoshop , for example, and save it as a .jpg or any other general non-.psd image file, once it's saved, if I want the file to open in Preview as default, instead of PS, I always have to click the image's icon, press cmd-I to access the Information Box, then scroll down and choose Preview from the "Open with" drop down list.

It's kind of annoying, but what makes it more so, is that the "Open with" drop down list is in alphabetical order, and so Preview is near the bottom of the list.

There are several selections in the "Open with" list that I don't use, that are before "P", so if I can remove them, would someone please tell me how.

The first screen capture shows lots of the unused "Constrain," "Make JPG," "Make GIF" etc. selections. The second screen capture simply shows a slightly more scrolled down view of the "Open with" list.

I always have to scroll down to access the Preview selection when changing from a PS default. It sucks.

If the "Constrain," "Make JPG," "Make GIF" etc. selections were removed from the list, then I woudl be able to select Preview much quicker, without having to scroll past the down arrow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Open up /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/Samples and pull the Droplets folder to your desktop, restart, see if they are there.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manyourisms View Post

Open up /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/Samples and pull the Droplets folder to your desktop, restart, see if they are there.

I'm actually using PS CS 8.0

I tried that, but instead of moving the Droplets folder to the Desktop and restarting, I moved the Droplets folder to the Desktop, then into a different non-Adobe PS folder that I created elsewhere on the computer for storing various PS files that I'd made.

I restarted but it didn't work; the selections are all as they were, even without the Droplets folder being in the Adobe PS Samples folder.

Adobe Samples folder, sans Droplets folder, post-restart

Was it absolutely essential for the Droplets folder to be on the Desktop during Restart? or did it just need to be elsewhere, not in the Adobe folder(s)?

If it simply needed to be elsewhere, any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Rebuild the Launch Services database.

Copy this and paste into Terminal

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/\\

Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill \\

-r -domain system -domain local -domain user
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Rebuild the Launch Services database.

Copy this and paste into Terminal

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/\\

Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill \\

-r -domain system -domain local -domain user

Okay, since I'm virtually a complete novice when it comes to using the Terminal -- the only thing I've done with it is try to block a web URL -- I looked up "rebuilding launch service database os x tiger" first to see if I could find more explanation of what it is, and probably found the same page [ http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31215144430486 ] that you borrowed your suggestion from.

Is there any risk in doing your suggestion?

And is there anything else that I'll need to do to make sure that everything else that relies on the Launch Services Database continues to work correctly? like, do I need to do a bunch of other post-Terminal technical stuff, like manually rebuild Launch Services for any and/or all Apps that rely on it?

I understand how to put the command into Terminal and perform it, if that's how that should be worded [laughing], but I don't exactly understand what I'm doing by doing so.

More explanation/more instruction would be appreciated.