Apple TV - no composite video...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all,

A friend just informed me that AppleTV has component video out and NOT composite.

That just saved me from buying one of these things that I can't use. I know that component video and HDMI is supposed to be better and all, but my 32" Panasonic flat screen only has composite video.

Is there a reasonable cable adapter to allow ATV to be used with composite inputs on a TV ??

I was planning on getting the first generation and then upgrading when version 2 comes out - demoting my first Apple TV to the bedroom TV (it's a sony with composite inputs). That's how I was going to justify getting version 1 of Apple TV when I know that the future will be much better.

SO....

Is there an adapter for converting component video to composite ??

Phil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    The short answer is "yes".
  • Reply 2 of 13
    How ??

With an HDMI to DVI and then the Apple DVI to video adapter ???
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbutler View Post

Is there a reasonable cable adapter to allow ATV to be used with composite inputs on a TV ??

No. Composite is interlaced. tv is progressive.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    But the larger question is, how did you manage to get a 32" flat screen with only composite in?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I am not sure. I don't think it's got it. I can't find the manual. I'll have to move the whole entertainment center out and "peek under it's tail".

Phil
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But the larger question is, how did you manage to get a 32" flat screen with only composite in?

32" Flat CRT, perhaps?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Oh yes, - it's a CRT flat tube from Panasonic. I wish the model number was on the front somewhere so I could maybe download a manual from the internet.

I can move the TV out, but the entire entertainment center is probably 200+ lbs and I have to move lots of kids toys even to do that.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Oh yes, - it's a CRT flat tube from Panasonic. I wish the model number was on the front somewhere so I could maybe download a manual from the internet.

I can move the TV out, but the entire entertainment center is probably 200+ lbs and I have to move lots of kids toys even to do that.

How old is it?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I think it's about 5 years old.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

I think it's about 5 years old.

It almost certainly has component in. A flat tube 32" Pany from 5 years ago was a at least a midscale CRT, and as such should have sported at least basic amenities. Component in was (and is) a basic amenity.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    You should be able to get a component to composite adaptor (On one end the three plugs and the other end one yellow plug). However not sure if AppleTV signals will be "downconverted" appropriately for your TV model.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

You should be able to get a component to composite adaptor (On one end the three plugs and the other end one yellow plug). However not sure if AppleTV signals will be "downconverted" appropriately for your TV model.

Melgross and I had a discussion here http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=70716 about this. The bottom line is that we are in a wait and see about this. The problem is that the published ATV specs only talk about 'progressive scan'. Composite requires 'interlace scan'. We are waiting to see if the ATV can really do 480i. If it can, than your solution could work.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Melgross and I had a discussion here http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=70716 about this. The bottom line is that we are in a wait and see about this. The problem is that the published ATV specs only talk about 'progressive scan'. Composite requires 'interlace scan'. We are waiting to see if the ATV can really do 480i. If it can, than your solution could work.

Yes good point, we're waiting for the product to be released (isn't it February already..!! arghghgh )

Besides interlace, Phil, you need to see if your TV can "recognize" a widescreen signal and adjust (letterbox) accordingly. The composite image may be pushed through into the TV (step One, good), but the image will need to be smartly handled as 4:3 or letterboxed by the TV manual or auto settings (step Two, important)...