Is there a iPod Dock Splitter-Is it necessary?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just bought my iPod this week, a 5.5G iPod Video. Since I listen to podcasts frequently I will be syncing this daily with my Mac. As well, the other thing I use it for mostly is listening to FM Radio so i bought Apple's FM Radio Receiver Adapter. I know even with a standard iPod everytime you sync it you pull the dock connector in and out. As well, now that I use the FM Receiver I also have to unplug before each sync as well as plug that in after each sync. That just seems like a lot of heavy use. Is this likely to cause any problems with the iPod connector? What I'm wondering is is there anything (that's hopefully small) that acts as a splitter where I could plug in both at the same time and limit the use of the original dock connector that's actually on the iPod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I just bought my iPod this week, a 5.5G iPod Video. Since I listen to podcasts frequently I will be syncing this daily with my Mac. As well, the other thing I use it for mostly is listening to FM Radio so i bought Apple's FM Radio Receiver Adapter. I know even with a standard iPod everytime you sync it you pull the dock connector in and out. As well, now that I use the FM Receiver I also have to unplug before each sync as well as plug that in after each sync. That just seems like a lot of heavy use. Is this likely to cause any problems with the iPod connector? What I'm wondering is is there anything (that's hopefully small) that acts as a splitter where I could plug in both at the same time and limit the use of the original dock connector that's actually on the iPod?

I have not come across a "dock splitter" as you suggest. Something like a "dock pass-through" on the FM receiver is what I understand you're talking about, because each time you have to

unplug FM receiver

plug in dock

sync

unplug from dock

plug FM receiver in

I have a 1st gen iPod Mini 4gb that was purchased around September 2004, more than 2 years old. There has been plugging and unplugging of the dock connector and the FW400 end of it. No problems with data syncing so far.

IMHO as long as there is no roughness/ damage to the dock input (female) connector on the iPod 5.5g you should be alright and covered for warranty. It may be worth getting the $59.00 AppleCare for iPod Video warranty to get a full 2 years of warranty for the iPod Video. As long as you're generally careful when plugging and unplugging the dock connectors, there should be no issue of "wear and tear" should the dock connector fail in the next 1-2 years.