Change Mail.app "check mail" time

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys. Using the mail preferences, I can only make it check for new mail every 1 minute at the very soonest. Is there a file where you can change that to something less.. like change the value in a .plist file from 1 to 0.5, or 60 to 1 or something? Could find anything in the mail plist. Thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manyourisms View Post

Hey guys. Using the mail preferences, I can only make it check for new mail every 1 minute at the very soonest. Is there a file where you can change that to something less.. like change the value in a .plist file from 1 to 0.5, or 60 to 1 or something? Could find anything in the mail plist. Thx

Why?

Really.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    that does seem quite unecessary
  • Reply 3 of 12
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

that does seem quite unecessary

Not to mention the fact that some ISP admins might consider it abuse...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The why shouldn't really matter. If you dont know, say you dont know. Anyone else?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

The why shouldn't really matter. If you dont know, say you dont know. Anyone else?

If you aren't interested in giving an explanation of why you want to pound a mail server with unneccesary requests, why should anyone help? Do you get that much email? Can you read your incoming email and reply in the one second you'll have before the new mail arrives?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    It is a matter of receiving the mail before the next guy. And it is a private mail server, not an ISP or otherwise.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

It is a matter of receiving the mail before the next guy. And it is a private mail server, not an ISP or otherwise.

Should be in this .plist:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

(I'm not at an OSX machine to confirm that right now.)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Yeah, cause it's not like there are any routers in between that have to deliver the traffic.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Load isn't a problem at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion i will check there again, i searched "get" and "new" in that plist nothing came up, but it may be under something else.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    PollTime.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:

It is a matter of receiving the mail before the next guy.

Must be a daytrader. Ever met one of them? They're crazy.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Yeah, there's a way. Click "Get Mail."