Is .Mac worth it just for ichat?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The main reason I might try the free 60 day trial is just to get into ichat.

Or is there another way(cheap) to use the ichat program without paying much?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    you don't need .Mac for iChat...but you do need jaguar...g

i use iChat all the time with my aol im name...never with my .mac name
  • Reply 2 of 6
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    iChat uses AOL's chat thingie and as far as I know its free to use, all you need is an email address and I don't think it has to be a .mac address.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Erm, no...it is an AIM client, so all you need is an AIM screen name.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    even if u need .mac for ichat, I dun think it is justified to spend $99 annually!!!! :eek:

There are plenty of instant messaging software for the Mac such as yahoo and icq. they work well.

Only sign up for .mac if u need the homepage and email.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacChadilac:

<strong>The main reason I might try the free 60 day trial is just to get into ichat.

Or is there another way(cheap) to use the ichat program without paying much?</strong><hr></blockquote>

After your trial period expires you can still use your .Mac name in iChat.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    .mac is not needed for iChat. But it is a GREAT way to get 100MB of online storage at a good price. Your iDisk mounts on your desktop like any other external drive and you can upload things to Apple's server just by using drag and drop.

On top of the iDisk, you get an email address, Virex software and Backup software. Apple just relaesed the latest virus definitions to all .mac users, so this is working the same way regular Virex does.

When combined together, all of the .mac stuf would equal a $250 value. To get it for $99 is pretty cool. And I should mention that your iDisk comes with a bunch of other free downloads, including OS X upgrades, internet utilities and shareware games.

Speaking as a user of .mac, it's an incredible value. And who knows what other features Apple might add to it in the future.

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: clonenode ]</p>