Dealing with Apple Customer Service

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I took my imac into the apple store a week ago b/c it refused to turn on. I was told that the logic board and power supply needed to be replaced...fast forward to this morning, when I get a call from the genius bar to inform me that while the issue falls under a known extended warranty area and repairs will be free, the parts are back-ordered and its impossible to tell how long it might take. To solve the problem, they offered up a brand-new upgraded newer-gen imac. The catch? I'll have to wait 4 weeks. So while I'm pleasantly surprised about their offer of a new machine, another 4 weeks of downtime will be a big pain.

What I'm looking for help with is this: why would an applestore, with a plethora of current models in inventory, need to special-order a replacement from Corporate, considering they explicitly stated the replacement machine will be brand-new, not refurbished. Is there not some way to expedite the process (perhaps with a magic RMA number or such thing) and get permission from the heavens above to get my free machine directly from the store rather than waiting another month?!

Anyone info about how apple's warranty system works would be most appreciated.

cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    When the backlight -- or something like that about the screen or what powers the screen, can't remember exactly -- in my 17" iMac G4 messed up the last time, it took like a month and a half for Apple to deliver the part to my local computer store/apple retailer/apple repairer. It would have probably taken even longer if a family member who also uses the comp didn't get on the phone and start making complaining noise, calling Apple customer help numbers and the like.

Get on the phone with Apple, and make noise about the wait time, etc. That will speed them up. But, that might make them hurry up and fix the current computer, instead of ya getting that new iMac replacement lol

What about ya old HD? they're going to give ya a new iMac, but then what about all ya stuff on ya old computer?

If that's important to ya, I'd say to forget about the replacement, get on the phone with Apple, like, phone Apple numbers everyday, asking about when the part is going to be shipped, who's lookin' for the part, where it's being sent from, etc. etc. Any way ya can think of to make noise so they know that are impatiently waiting.

Persistence.

I apologize for the ridiculous grammar -- in a rush.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post

I took my imac into the apple store a week ago b/c it refused to turn on. I was told that the logic board and power supply needed to be replaced...fast forward to this morning, when I get a call from the genius bar to inform me that while the issue falls under a known extended warranty area and repairs will be free, the parts are back-ordered and its impossible to tell how long it might take. To solve the problem, they offered up a brand-new upgraded newer-gen imac. The catch? I'll have to wait 4 weeks. So while I'm pleasantly surprised about their offer of a new machine, another 4 weeks of downtime will be a big pain.

What I'm looking for help with is this: why would an applestore, with a plethora of current models in inventory, need to special-order a replacement from Corporate, considering they explicitly stated the replacement machine will be brand-new, not refurbished. Is there not some way to expedite the process (perhaps with a magic RMA number or such thing) and get permission from the heavens above to get my free machine directly from the store rather than waiting another month?!

Anyone info about how apple's warranty system works would be most appreciated.

cheers.

Try calling and asking for Customer Relations. They are there to make an unhappy customer happy again. Get it firm in your mind exactly what you want done about the situation, and then ask for it.

Apple Phone contacts: http://www.apple.com/contact/phone_contacts.html

Good luck!