Java Direct Connect

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know that I've posted about this before but I'm having problems with it again. How do you get JavaDC to register your shared amounts? I have 244 MB to share at the moment and i dont know how to type that into Java DC. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I'm still awaiting the native Mac OS X Direct Connect...

Thanx,

PiBO2k2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Come on ppl... at least repy with an I dont know or something.. dont leave me hangin here....
  • Reply 2 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is Direct Connect as good as Kazaa?

Isn't this for Genius Bar?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    DC is MUCH better than KaZaA will ever be...

I wanna know.... well refer to the first post in this thread.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>DC is MUCH better than KaZaA will ever be...

I wanna know.... well refer to the first post in this thread.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, I'd never heard of this app before, but I went ahead and d-l'd it. Looks pretty cool, BTW.

Here's what you do;

launch it (duh...)

when the Direct Connect client beta window appears, click on 'Edit' at the TOP OF THE WINDOW (not in the Menu Bar)

The only option is 'Preferences'. Select it.

In the Preferences window, select the 'File transfers' tab.

Click 'Add Share', and you should be good to go.

&lt;edit&gt;

removed image tag; didn't work for me...

&lt;/edit&gt;

(tig)

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: The Grimace ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by The Grimace:

<strong>

Ok, I'd never heard of this app before, but I went ahead and d-l'd it. Looks pretty cool, BTW.

Here's what you do;

launch it (duh...)

when the Direct Connect client beta window appears, click on 'Edit' at the TOP OF THE WINDOW (not in the Menu Bar)

The only option is 'Preferences'. Select it.

In the Preferences window, select the 'File transfers' tab.

Click 'Add Share', and you should be good to go.

&lt;edit&gt;

removed image tag; didn't work for me...

&lt;/edit&gt;

(tig)

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: The Grimace ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats the thing... I did exactly that and it doesnt register my share..... i even adjusted it on the settings.txt file and it still didnt work.. Any other suggestions?
  • Reply 6 of 18

<strong>

Thats the thing... I did exactly that and it doesnt register my share..... i even adjusted it on the settings.txt file and it still didnt work.. Any other suggestions?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll poke around, see what I can discover...

&lt;edit&gt;

Stupid question, but I gotta ask - did you click the 'Ok' button before closing the Prefs window? Might make a difference, although it seems not to... It doesn't appear to remember the prefs from on run to the next, does it... Hmm...

&lt;/edit&gt;

(tig)

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: The Grimace ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 18

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 18

<strong>

I'll poke around, see what I can discover...

&lt;edit&gt;

Stupid question, but I gotta ask - did you click the 'Ok' button before closing the Prefs window? Might make a difference, although it seems not to... It doesn't appear to remember the prefs from on run to the next, does it... Hmm...

&lt;/edit&gt;

(tig)

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: The Grimace ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

heh.. it wouldnt let me leave the settings window when i typed in how much i had shared.... and thanx again for helping me....
  • Reply 9 of 18

<strong>

heh.. it wouldnt let me leave the settings window when i typed in how much i had shared.... and thanx again for helping me....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, ya gotta kill the window manually, with the 'close' (red) button. Checked out SourceForge, not much info there. Wonder what we're missing. Looked for the source code as well, but I'm not familiar with SF's layout, and it was late (US Pacific Standard Time). Gonna give another looksie today. You mentioned prefs; where'd ya find them? Be damned if I can find any relating to this app anywhere on my machine. It may be time to e-mail the dev.

(tig)
  • Reply 10 of 18

<strong>

Yeah, ya gotta kill the window manually, with the 'close' (red) button. Checked out SourceForge, not much info there. Wonder what we're missing. Looked for the source code as well, but I'm not familiar with SF's layout, and it was late (US Pacific Standard Time). Gonna give another looksie today. You mentioned prefs; where'd ya find them? Be damned if I can find any relating to this app anywhere on my machine. It may be time to e-mail the dev.

(tig)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heh.. that sorta helped but not really. Its still not registering my share and I have about 244 or so MB shared. How do I tell it that its MB and not just B or KB?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    MOds please delete this topic... im getting the help i need. heh
  • Reply 12 of 18

<strong>

Heh.. that sorta helped but not really. Its still not registering my share and I have about 244 or so MB shared. How do I tell it that its MB and not just B or KB?</strong><hr></blockquote>

So the way it works is like this...

Open Prefs.

Select Personal Information

Enter your Nick, Description (optional), Email (optional), Connection, and Shared size

You can obtain your Share size by using 'Get Info' on the folder(s) you wish to share

Enter your Share size in bytes (as it appears in Get Info), numerals only, no alphabetic characters

Click on Connection

Make sure Passive mode is selected

Click on UI (optional)

Unselect Use default metal theme

Select MacOS adaptive from the drop list (gives Aqua appearance)

Click on File Transfers

Click Add Share

Select your share folder; the same you got the byte size info for

Click Browse

Select your download location

Click Ok at the bottom of the Preferences window

You should be good to go.

Never used DC before, got mixed feelings. Most of the hubs require HUGE share sizes, quite a few won't accept the JavaDC client, and one kicked me off and banned my IP for no apparent reason. Had good luck with the Keepers of the Deep 2 hub, though.

Anyways, hope this gets ya going..

(tig)
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Huh?

How do you fscking INSTALL this bitch? What a UNIX app. No GUI? No installer? SCREW that.

Neo sucks but it's the only thing that works. Aquisition never finds any networks, and Drumbeat is ok but bloated and needs a special work-around to hack it ( )

I've also noticed things on Kazaa download at half a k/sec.

Damnit I miss Napster

Where the HECK do you guys get your music?!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    dcgui & dclib work pretty well. and they remember shares. my only complaint with them is it took me some time to build it myself (libtool didnt work for me), and the gui slows my computer down noticeably.

also, i dont kno if all colleges do it, but mine has a server setup just for dc (its not an official college-related server of course, its run by students). 'most everyone on campus connects to it 'most all the time, so we share shitloads. music, movies, hw, games (tho mostly pc), etc. and dl speeds are a minimum of 300k/sec, and up to 10MB/sec (notice the upper case M, and B, indicating MegaBytes). it averages 1-&gt;2 MB/s tho. (its kewl 2b a geek at a geek college.)

the only bad part about dc is most hubs have a minimum requirement of a few gigs to get in. so u have to already have something to contribute. and people with large shares tend to hang out in places that require large shares.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>

Where the HECK do you guys get your music?!</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.limewire.com"; target="_blank">LimeWire</a> works for me
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Um, dcgui? English please? Is there an installer for people that haven't used UNIX before? :confused:

All Gnutella apps never seem to find anything. I just tried Aquisition. Blech. The Gnut network looks dead.

If only iSwipe actually worked, I would pay &gt; $50 for it, like yesterday.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    c5jc5j Posts: 25member
    Where do u find dcgui, is it native OSX-DC? I connect my javaDC to the college-network-hub, but get lousy dl-speeds. I got much dl-speeds better with VPC (yeck!) and neo-modus-DC. But don't want to use VPC (who does?). Also with javaDC u cant share from other hd-partions u have. Other from the part u run javaDC from. Why can't some skilled OSX-programmer save my life and create a nice OSX-DC???
  • Reply 18 of 18
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont know the dcgui/dclib site off my head, but check google for direct connect, and throw "linux" as one of the terms.

unfortunately for u non-programmers, dclib/gui is still in the works, and not really ready for primetime. i built it from source (after some hacking at it). it requires xfree86, and a few odd libraries i can't even think of. i considered (and am still very interested in) making a dc for osx, but there wasn't much documentation for dclib, not enuf for me to hack at it full on yet. i'll look it over now again, maybe they added some docs to teh src.

[edit:]oh, and my dcgui dl speed vary from &lt;1MByte/s to &gt;7MB/s, avg'ing around 1.5-2 Megabytes/second.

[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: thuh Freak ]</p>