Apple TV + Wireless N Mac Book Pro "Create Network" sharing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was just thinking about the "create network" setting on Macs where you can share your wireless. This got me to consider forgoing a wireless N router if my primary computer already has a N card in it. I would think that the Apple TV wouldn't even know the difference as it would be an Access Point that it could connect to.

This sound reasonable? Also, does the sharing feature work if you have an expresscard or usb wireless card or is it restricted to internal cards? I wouldn't think that it is, but wanted to know for sure since I have a 1st Gen MBP right now and would get an N expresscard for it.

Would this also work if you are connected via ethernet and shared with expresscard wireless?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I was just thinking about the "create network" setting on Macs where you can share your wireless. This got me to consider forgoing a wireless N router if my primary computer already has a N card in it. I would think that the Apple TV wouldn't even know the difference as it would be an Access Point that it could connect to.

This sound reasonable?

Yes, you don't need a base station to create a wireless network. Apple even says so on the AppleTV page:

"If you don’t have a wireless network, you can set one up easily with a wireless access point like the superfast 802.11 AirPort Extreme Base Station. Newer AirPort Extreme-enabled Macs let you create a wireless network using only your computer. And if you have a Mac or PC without built-in wireless capability, you can connect Apple TV to your network using an Ethernet cable (sold separately)."