Internal Flash Memory in the next MB Pro???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not sure this topic has been covered yet, or at least at the extent I hoped for. I'm really close to entering the market for a new Pro mobile Mac, and I keep reading rumors about flash memory for laptops in general, better video cards, brighter LED driven displays, breakthrough CPU's,etc. If any one of these things do find themselves in the near future, I'm waiting for the next revision. If the next upgrade is only a moderate speed increase, I'm not waiting.

I guess for me the most important new element would be internal flash storage, since it would add speed and reduce power consumption: I'm a sucker for computing efficiency, as I'm sure everybody here is. I think it'll be worth putting in the laptops, even if it's not that much, (perhaps 10 to 20 gigs?) because you could use it exclusively for your OS apps and small files, and all your extensive storage could go to a conventional hard drive, whose usage and spinning can be restricted only to the times you hit save in Photoshop files and the like. All the computing would go only between your flash memory, RAM, CPU and video card and again, the larger conventional HD would be restricted to storage of large files... heck, you could probably even keep the files you're currently working on in your flash drive, reducing power consumpition and increasing speed even further, and then back them up to the other drive after you're done.

I do realize that flash memory is expensive, especially this kind, but look at the iPod nano.

Does it sound too crazy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Santa Rosa includes Robson flash if Apple can figure out a way to use it. Maybe flash is a "top secret feature" in Leopard.

http://www.intel.com/technology/maga...obson-1206.htm
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    You aren't going to get noticably longer battery life by switching to flash, even the fastest mobile hard drives just don't take that much power, maybe it's ten minutes. You'll get double the battery life with an ultra low voltage CPU though.