.Mac - is it worth the price ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple?s .Mac service provides users with an @mac.com email address that can be accessed from an email application or webmail interface. It also provides an Internet-based storage volume known as an iDisk, the ability to host websites using the storage space of the iDisk, a consumer-level backup application, secure instant messaging using iChat, and the ability to sync various types of data automatically among multiple Macs and to access that data through the web?all for $99.95 per year. By integrating with iLife ?06, .Mac also provides a very easy-to-use solution for hosting blogs, podcasts, photo album pages, and photo albums that can be accessed using RSS (a.k.a. photocasts). Although .Mac provides a number of impressive services, many people wonder whether the service is actually worth its $99.95 price tag, particularly when there are free services that offer a number of similar features. Features such as free photo album hosting; email, blog, and podcast host services; and online calendar services are available from other companies.

What do you think? Is it worth the price?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DualCore View Post

Apple’s .Mac service provides users with an @mac.com email address that can be accessed from an email application or webmail interface. It also provides an Internet-based storage volume known as an iDisk, the ability to host websites using the storage space of the iDisk, a consumer-level backup application, secure instant messaging using iChat, and the ability to sync various types of data automatically among multiple Macs and to access that data through the web—all for $99.95 per year. By integrating with iLife ’06, .Mac also provides a very easy-to-use solution for hosting blogs, podcasts, photo album pages, and photo albums that can be accessed using RSS (a.k.a. photocasts). Although .Mac provides a number of impressive services, many people wonder whether the service is actually worth its $99.95 price tag, particularly when there are free services that offer a number of similar features. Features such as free photo album hosting; email, blog, and podcast host services; and online calendar services are available from other companies.

What do you think? Is it worth the price?

I think it is worth the price because I'ts not just that it offers all those things you mentioned, its how well they integrate together. Plus, you forgot to mention you can make iCards, which are a blast
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Is it worth the price? No.

Am I a member? Yes.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    It would be a better deal at fifty bucks a year, but I find it handy to have a membership even if I only use 1/10th of it's capabilities.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

It would be a better deal at fifty bucks a year..

How deductive of you.

With the existing service I think it should be free, or at the most $29.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Is it worth the price? No.

Am I a member? Yes.

I think this answers the questions based on user experience.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I predict they will do something with .Mac in the next six months. They'll either slash the price and keep it as is, or upgrade the hell out of it and maintain the same price point. I vote for the latter.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    I cancled mine and use Gmail and other free services. I'm quit happy to save $100 a year. Sorry. I love Apple Inc., my PowerMac, System 7 through Mac OS X 10.4.x but I hated paying $100 ever year for an email address and some other, ho hum, features I could get for free else where.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I predict they will do something with .Mac in the next six months. They'll either slash the price and keep it as is, or upgrade the hell out of it and maintain the same price point. I vote for the latter.

I just read your rather in-depth analysis of the whole .Mac situation, and I've come to a conclusion. IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE. Simply adding features that most people don't need or care about is not the solution. I know people who just want the eMail feature, just .Mac email. Apple simply needs to make .Mac $29 right now with the existing feature set, there's no need for an event or special announcement, don't wait 6 months or 6 weeks cause there's no need. It's a rip off, it's that simple.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I used to think .Mac was not worth the price but since I bought a laptop last year, I've changed my mind on that. It's great to be able to sync .Mac at home and then have access to my data anywhere I go with the laptop. Also the fact that I still have to use Windows PC's at work and I can access most of my stuff on .Mac from there as well. It's a little pricey but still worth it I think.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lakingsfn View Post

I used to think .Mac was not worth the price but since I bought a laptop last year, I've changed my mind on that. It's great to be able to sync .Mac at home and then have access to my data anywhere I go with the laptop. Also the fact that I still have to use Windows PC's at work and I can access most of my stuff on .Mac from there as well. It's a little pricey but still worth it I think.

I used to think .Mac was not worth the price, and I still don't. That's not to say I don't need it. I like the convience and the ease of use etc. I just can't help but think I'm being taken advantage of by Apple with that price. It should be $29 IMO, but in lots of other people opinions too.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I just read your rather in-depth analysis of the whole .Mac situation, and I've come to a conclusion. IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE. Simply adding features that most people don't need or care about is not the solution. I know people who just want the eMail feature, just .Mac email. Apple simply needs to make .Mac $29 right now with the existing feature set, there's need for an event or special announcement, don't wait 6 months or 6 weeks cause there's no need. It's a rip off, it's that simple.

You're absolutely right; $29 would be an amazing price point that few Mac users could resist.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    you 4got several things, like the learning center, i find it great for friends that just switched and want to learn the basics of the os as well as the iLife suite. the ability to sync your adress book on line is great many time im at gathering (without my LT) and people ask me for someones eMail or sumthing or i need to double check a date on my calander, i just barrow a computer and i can see all my info. also a little trick is if youre buying a computer you get $30 off, and you can buy multiple years (boxes) at that price and just activate them in years to come.

Bottom line is, .Mac is like an apple computer, and other services that offer the same thing are like a PC, they will let you do what you want, but one is the better experience, and it is do to integration (as mentioned b4 by some 1)