help! i deleted...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my "Movies" folder that i need back...by mistake, it went to trash and got deleted..anyways to retrieve it back whatsoever?!!!?? thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joyjoy View Post

my "Movies" folder that i need back...by mistake, it went to trash and got deleted..anyways to retrieve it back whatsoever?!!!?? thanks in advance.

I doubt you really trashed your movies folder, was it empty?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    nooo definitely not empty..ah i have no idea wtf i was doing..i wasnt thinking! im pretty much screwed arent i?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

nooo definitely not empty..ah i have no idea wtf i was doing..i wasnt thinking! im pretty much screwed arent i?

Put this search in spotlight "movies folder", do you see any movie folders?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nothing...\
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

nothing...\

Best guess is that you are right, your movies are gone, tough luck.

You're new to the Mac?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    After a quick Google search for "redownload purchased itunes" it looks like if you call tech support, they might let you redownload what you lost.

Get an external hard drive and drag your whole iTunes directory to it as a back up once you get your stuff back.

Good luck
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

After a quick Google search for "redownload purchased itunes" it looks like if you call tech support, they might let you redownload what you lost.

Get an external hard drive and drag your whole iTunes directory to it as a back up once you get your stuff back.

Good luck

Who are you talking to?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Try Data Rescue, but don't write anything to the hard drive before you do.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Seconded. Get you to your local purveyor of softwares and get you some Data Rescue. Your stuff is still there until it gets written over by something else (so basically turn your computer off until you can run the recovery).

Unless you've been fiendishly saving things to your drive since your accident, the odds are good you'll get most if not all of your files back.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Try Data Rescue, but don't write anything to the hard drive before you do.

Good job being the first helpful person in this thread, what the fuck were those other people saying?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    thanks for all the help!

• Reply 12 of 17
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Who are you talking to?

Ooops. Sorry Ireland. I used the wrong reply.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Ooops. Sorry Ireland. I used the wrong reply.

I was wondering cause I couldn't see anything about what you had said in this thread. No worries, could happen to the best of us.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Just restore from backup.

If you haven't backed it up, then you've already declared it worthless, so it doesn't matter.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Nonsense. That isn't helpful or accurate.

Data Rescue is what he needs.

It will cost money to actually retrieve the items, but free to check and see if they are retrievable.

Moving to Genius Bar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Just restore from backup.

If you haven't backed it up, then you've already declared it worthless, so it doesn't matter.

• Reply 16 of 17
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Put this search in spotlight "movies folder", do you see any movie folders?

Er... searching for "movies folder" in spotlight will not find the movies folder, because the folder is called "movies", not "movies folder".

Here is what the O/P should do.

1.) Turn off computer and don't use it.

2.) Get yourself access to another Mac with 10.3 or 10.4 and a Firewire port. Let's call this Mac "Rescue Mac".

3.) On the "Rescue Mac", install Data Rescue II.

4.) On the "Rescue Mac", if it is running 10.4, open system preferences and go to the spotlight pane, then the privacy tab.

5.) Turn on your Mac (the one with the deleted files), and immediately hold down the "T" key. This starts the Mac in "target disk mode", enabling it to be used as an external hard-drive.

6.) Connect the Macs together with a firewire cable.

7.) If the "Rescue Mac" is running 10.4, as soon as the hard drive of the Mac to be rescued appears on the desktop of the "Rescue Mac", drag the icon to the privacy tab (opened in step 4). This will prevent spotlight indexing the drive and writing the index to the drive (this could potentially over-write the deleted files)

8.) Run Data Rescue II on the mounted hard drive, making sure you select the hard drive of the "Rescue Mac" to be the destination of any deleted files that are found.

If you can't get access to another Mac, you will at the very least need an external dard drive for Data Rescue II to write recovered files to.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Oh?

If it's worth anything, it's worth backing up.

Only data this is worth nothing is not backed up. By definition.