My 10 minute vista review

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK I just got my first hands on time with Vista: about 10 minutes on Home Premium with a 17-inch dualcore turion laptop with 1GB RAM...here is my OSX comparison:

windows menu: Kinda like the Apps folder, prefs and Expose crammed into one not-ugly, but not at all intuitive package...

start menu search: seems like (at least the way these laptops were configured) it only searches the windows menu and the recently open docs...seems odd...

Windows+Tab 3-d view of all apps open and cycles through them...looks GREAT but once thee novilty wears off, expose is still more useful.

control pannel: No add/remove programs, what gives?

over-all: lots of stuff like system info and system managment that used to be their own apps now run in what appears to be IE7...again, what gives?

OOOPS I FORGOT:

Sidebar: what the fsck? a clock, a picture and some news feeds? seems like a pointless drain of RAM and a tool to sell more widescreen displays to those who have perfectly good 4:3s that do not need replacing.

RAM usage...dear loard! buy as much as you possibly can, on 1GB, with control pannel, sidebar and IE (non-connected)running, it used ~940MB RAM, compaired to about 300 on an equaly setup XP box...in fairness, it did have some OEM crap, but DAMN...

On a totaly unrelated note: Geeksquad charges a whoping $120 to install Nortan, delete the crapware and configure Windows Firewall! DAMN what a scam!

final thoughts...because I am a I.T. person, I will learn it...but WOW, I would rather use Linux or MacOSX any day of the week...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

It's there. In fact, in Control Panel, just type "Uninstall" in the search field and you'll get it.

I agree that the Control Panel has become even more of a complex mess, though. Which is funny, cause they were trying to achieve exactly the opposite.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

It's there. In fact, in Control Panel, just type "Uninstall" in the search field and you'll get it.

I agree that the Control Panel has become even more of a complex mess, though. Which is funny, cause they were trying to achieve exactly the opposite.

OK, I appoligise, iit was a 10 minute stint in BB, getting dirty looks from the dept manager and such, so in fairness not a good test environment.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My 30 minute review of Vista;

Looks I could really do with more space on hard drive, that's it I'm deleting Vista.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Most of the reviews I've read about Vista say that it brings "bloatware" to a whole new level, and that it's necessary to turn off a number of features to make it usable on even the newest machines.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Most of the reviews I've read about Vista say that it brings "bloatware" to a whole new level, and that it's necessary to turn off a number of features to make it usable on even the newest machines.

It does require a beefy GPU, but that is a good thing: I am really liking the prospect of cheap PCs including cards capable of doing DX9, that means your $500 Dell with Vista Premium will have enough GPU horsepower for a few other hogs...like coverflow in iTunes...or playing back 720P and bigger video at a reasonable frame rate, and dare I say, maybe playing a game or two!

Now the ram requierments...dear god! I predict within the year, if I do use Vista, it will be with about 8GB ram...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

OK I just got my first hands on time with Vista: about 10 minutes on Home Premium with a 17-inch dualcore turion laptop with 1GB RAM...here is my OSX comparison:

windows menu: Kinda like the Apps folder, prefs and Expose crammed into one not-ugly, but not at all intuitive package...

start menu search: seems like (at least the way these laptops were configured) it only searches the windows menu and the recently open docs...seems odd...

Windows+Tab 3-d view of all apps open and cycles through them...looks GREAT but once thee novilty wears off, expose is still more useful.

over-all: lots of stuff like system info and system managment that used to be their own apps now run in what appears to be IE7...again, what gives?

OOOPS I FORGOT:

Sidebar: what the fsck? a clock, a picture and some news feeds? seems like a pointless drain of RAM and a tool to sell more widescreen displays to those who have perfectly good 4:3s that do not need replacing.

RAM usage...dear loard! buy as much as you possibly can, on 1GB, with control pannel, sidebar and IE (non-connected)running, it used ~940MB RAM, compaired to about 300 on an equaly setup XP box...in fairness, it did have some OEM crap, but DAMN...

On a totaly unrelated note: Geeksquad charges a whoping $120 to install Nortan, delete the crapware and configure Windows Firewall! DAMN what a scam!

final thoughts...because I am a I.T. person, I will learn it...but WOW, I would rather use Linux or MacOSX any day of the week...

120% agree. That's Vista. Millions of dollars in research, development and marketing, tons of bloatware and delays, and this is the bollocks that comes out. ... The SideBar is the worst idea, taking up desktop space for no sensible reason ...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    i found that vista was verry slow for my computer. it was a quick computer and it HATED vista. i hated that my printer wouldnt work with vista, i hated all the ram it took, i really hated how your control panel had a stupid layout. go in xp system prefs and everthing was there, vista some confusing thing in the window and then other places or links to other prefs were on a side bar.. its so idiot proof...its idiot. i will never "downgrade" to vista. i would keep xp or go mac. hopefully go mac.