No audio output device shown on MacBook Core 2 Duo

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All of a sudden there is no audio output or input device listed in the audio control panel. All of the system alert sound section is grayed out and the volume up/down visual overlay display has a circle with an slash through it. Bottom line = I have no sound I/O.

Any one else run into this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Try trashing your sound prefs. Users-library-preference-com.apple.sound.plist
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    odd.. no sound pref exists.

On my other Macs where I use professional external and internal soundcards if I don't have one selected or connected no audio apps playback. I am getting similar behavior with iTunes on this machine - you hit play but it doesn't actually play, as if it's waiting for a loaded driver/device to be present.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Formatted + Reinstalled OS + Migrated User Data = Fixed.

• Reply 4 of 5
    Hujib, I have the same issue on my iMac G4. Did you also have issues with the power on - startup chime not being audible when you had the missing devices in your sound preferences?

Wiping everything clean and reinstalling is going to be a major pain for me. I am trying to avoid it if possible. However, if you had the issue with the chime as well, I will try it out before going to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Hujib, I have the same issue on my iMac G4. Did you also have issues with the power on - startup chime not being audible when you had the missing devices in your sound preferences?

Wiping everything clean and reinstalling is going to be a major pain for me. I am trying to avoid it if possible. However, if you had the issue with the chime as well, I will try it out before going to Apple.

No chime related issue with my mess. Using an external drive, I used "SuperDuper" to clone my existing machine to the external drive, booted off OS X Tiger DVD, formatted and reinstalled and then "migrated" user back to clean install. It took 3 hrs in total.