Bought my first Mac.Some Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I proudly just ordered my new mac from the apple store. (24" iMac)i have a few questions. i didn't order Microsoft office with it because i am waiting for mac 08 office. will iwork 06 i ordered work fine for the little bit of writing that i do. will it be compatible with my word files? Next i would like to know if there is a free anti virus for macs. And i am in desperate need of a FREE dvd ripper and copier so i can make Legal copies of my dvds for backup. if any of these questions cant be answered here. pm me and we will go from there. thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sthiedesthiede Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

I proudly just ordered my new mac from the apple store. (24" iMac)i have a few questions. i didn't order Microsoft office with it because i am waiting for mac 08 office. will iwork 06 i ordered work fine for the little bit of writing that i do. will it be compatible with my word files? Next i would like to know if there is a free anti virus for macs. And i am in desperate need of a FREE dvd ripper and copier so i can make Legal copies of my dvds for backup. if any of these questions cant be answered here. pm me and we will go from there. thanks for your help.

ok well iWork's Pages is great for word processing, i use it more often than word. yes all of your word documents will be compatible with Pages. you even have the option of saving your Pages documents into word format.

now about the antivirus software. i would say it is unnecessary. if you absolutly insist on having an AntiVirus client, i read a review on ClamX AV in MacWorld Magazine. And yes, its free.

about the DVD ripping, HandBrake is the best thing i've ever used. its simple, easy to use, and best of all, free. now it does encode the videos so if you dont want them encoded then i dont know what to tell you because i havent been able to find a good DVD ripper for OS X that doesnt encode. also, some people say good things about "Mac the Ripper". you might want to google that and check it out
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thanks so much...so handbrake...how do i go about burning thsese coppies
  • Reply 3 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    For DVD ripping I'd personally recommend Mac the ripper. For back up of course.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    You don't even need iWork. You can download NeoOffice for FREE. It works great. You may never need MS Office at all.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ok thanks guys