Music disappeared in Itunes on external disk

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there,

I'm pretty new to iTunes & Ipod. I've got a 30G Video Ipod, and I'm running iTunes on a Windows XP notebook.

I decided I wanted to get my music off my hard drive, so I changed my iTunes folder (Preferences/Advanced) to my external (USB) disk, and consolidated. I then synched my ipod, and I was happy.

Alas, today I opened iTunes without having turned on my external disk. It reset itself to the default music location. I can change it back to my external disk (having turned it on), but it doesn't see any music there. I'm a bit worried that this deleted some index files in the reset, but I have no idea. What might fix this? Thanks! Sorry if this is obvious...

K

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I had renamed my old iTunes folder, so I could see if there was a problem in deleting it. When iTunes didn't find my original iTunes folder, with it's .itl database file, it created a new, empty one. I restored some names and it's okay. I need to give a little thought about how I want this to work, but I guess I understand the issues now.

k