Apple Airport & Xbox 360

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone know if you can hook up Xbox 360 to Apple's new Airport Extreme. I know that the Xbox needs the Xbox wireless card but is it compatible with Airport. I need to get the Xbox online and I'd rather use Apple's new Airport and not a Linksys. The Xbox website does not list the Airport in their list of compatible routers but that just means that they don't endorse it, after all it is a Microsoft product.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    All wireless devices have to comply to certain standards. It will be compatible but only if the Airport is on the g/n mode. It won't work if it's just in n.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    dpopedpope Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

All wireless devices have to comply to certain standards. It will be compatible but only if the Airport is on the g/n mode. It won't work if it's just in n.

Well... I just received my new Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I have it all setup correctly with several pc's and mac's connected.

PROBLEM... my XBOX 360 will not detect the wireless connection. I've tried forcing it to B/G and to just A but nothing. I tried moving the xbox 360 right next to it to see if it's a range issue, doesn't work.

I can say at this point, the Apple extreme base station IS NOT compatible with the XBOX 360. I've had multiple wireless routers working with the XBOX 360 (Linksys, Buffalo, DLink, etc...).
  • Reply 3 of 42
    I bet the Xbox is blocked by the router. I don't know how to fix that though.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dpope View Post

Well... I just received my new Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. I have it all setup correctly with several pc's and mac's connected.

PROBLEM... my XBOX 360 will not detect the wireless connection. I've tried forcing it to B/G and to just A but nothing. I tried moving the xbox 360 right next to it to see if it's a range issue, doesn't work.

I can say at this point, the Apple extreme base station IS NOT compatible with the XBOX 360. I've had multiple wireless routers working with the XBOX 360 (Linksys, Buffalo, DLink, etc...).

The Apple forums descibe this same problem.

The XBox has to be configured to use the same type of Wireless protection as the router.

Or vice versa.

C.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The Apple forums descibe this same problem.

The XBox has to be configured to use the same type of Wireless protection as the router.

Or vice versa.

C.

Yes. The Apple forums does discuss this but you don't understand what I am saying. The XBOX 360 can't even SEE the router. I have to be able to SEE the router so I can connect and pass the required password.

The New Apple router is not compatible.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    It's either a protection issue, or it isn't.

If the you turn protection on the AE off. It still does not work?

C.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

It's either a protection issue, or it isn't.

If the you turn protection on the AE off. It still does not work?

C.

360 doesn't do WPA2 evidently. Only WEP and WPA. Use the Airport Admin Utility to set the Airport Express with WPA Only and configure your XBox to use WPA. Or disable all security first and try that. But other folks have gotten it to work.

Assuming you own a Mac, Connect360 allows you to stream photos and music to your 360.

Vinea
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

360 doesn't do WPA2 evidently. Only WEP and WPA. Use the Airport Admin Utility to set the Airport Express with WPA Only and configure your XBox to use WPA. Or disable all security first and try that. But other folks have gotten it to work.

Assuming you own a Mac, Connect360 allows you to stream photos and music to your 360.

Vinea

I just received the "new" Airport from Apple. I have setup my wireless network to use WEP. The new router DOES NOT OFFER "WPA Only" The XBOX 360 will only recognize the router if it has NO SECURITY.

I've tried all the other security options but they don't work. The Apple router's security is not COMPATIBLE.

I can guarantee you that anyone who is running the NEW router from Apple, is running it with no security if they are using the XBOX 360.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    What security did you use with the other routers that you have used with the 360? Try those.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

What security did you use with the other routers that you have used with the 360? Try those.

With the other routers, all I used was WEP. For some reason, none of the security options work with the XBOX 360. When I specify "No Security", the XBOX 360 can see the router thus allowing me to connect. When I specify WEP, I try to locate the router it doesn't appear.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    See if there you can find in the security options a way to block/accept MAC addresses and then find out your 360's MAC address and let the router accept it. I had to do that for my MacBook and Belkin Router.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

See if there you can find in the security options a way to block/accept MAC addresses and then find out your 360's MAC address and let the router accept it. I had to do that for my MacBook and Belkin Router.

Sounds good. Thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 42
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Have you made sure the AE is set up to show the network's name even with security enabled?
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Have you made sure the AE is set up to show the network's name even with security enabled?

Yeah... I can see the router if I don't have any security enabled. Once I go WEP or WPA/WPA2 Person or Enterprise, I no longer see the router. I've even tried hard configuring the wireless but it doesn't communicate.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Yeah... I can see the router if I don't have any security enabled. Once I go WEP or WPA/WPA2 Person or Enterprise, I no longer see the router. I've even tried hard configuring the wireless but it doesn't communicate.

WPA and WPA2 will make your router invisible, to anyone but the person who knows the name and password of your network.

WEP will be visible, but will require a regular password (when using a mac) and the exact (Hexidecimal) WEP key from your Xbox 360 or your PC, if they are connecting to the router.

I use Connect360 and it's works great.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aircft.sys.spec. View Post

WPA and WPA2 will make your router invisible, to anyone but the person who knows the name and password of your network.

WEP will be visible, but will require a regular password (when using a mac) and the exact (Hexidecimal) WEP key from your Xbox 360 or your PC, if they are connecting to the router.

Are you using the new Airport from Apple that was just released? How about the new software?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aircft.sys.spec. View Post

I honestly don't believe you because I just received the new router today from Apple. I know alot about networks and I can tell you that when I configure the router with WEP, my XBOX 360 doesn't not see the router. As soon as I set it to no security, my xbox 360 can see it and I can connect.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I honestly don't believe you because I just received the new router today from Apple. I know alot about networks and I can tell you that when I configure the router with WEP, my XBOX 360 doesn't not see the router. As soon as I set it to no security, my xbox 360 can see it and I can connect.

Well if it works without encryption there's a way to get it to work with WEP or Apple will be patching soon. WPA looks broken to some extent and Apple recommends TSN/WEP or non-TSN/WPA.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305029

Looks like you have to wait for a patch and run with minimal security. If you have other N devices you might be better off leaving the extreme in 5Ghz wide mode with WPA2 and a legacy b/g network up on 2.4Ghz for the XBox with WPA or WEP.

Vinea
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Well if it works without encryption there's a way to get it to work with WEP or Apple will be patching soon. WPA looks broken to some extent and Apple recommends TSN/WEP or non-TSN/WPA.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305029

Looks like you have to wait for a patch and run with minimal security. If you have other N devices you might be better off leaving the extreme in 5Ghz wide mode with WPA2 and a legacy b/g network up on 2.4Ghz for the XBox with WPA or WEP.

Vinea

Thanks Vinea!

I figured something was wrong with the new Apple Extreme. I will wait until Apple releases a new firmware to fix the problem. I am sure they are on top of it as we speak.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

If you set your router to wpa or wpa2, do you tell the xbox 360 to connect via "said" network name. And you typed the name exactly as it is set on your computer. Part of WPA and WPA2's security is that it remains hidden at all times.........you have to tell the device exactly where to look.

If you are using WEP you cannot use for instance the same password like "Tuck 88" as you do on your Mac or PC.......it would be some 40 character hexidecimal representation of the same password like 2ca5c57e40f23e25c17b10..........etc...........this is what you will have to type into your Xbox 360 for it to work.........not the password as you know it........the EXACT WEP key. This is what your 360 is asking for when it asks you for your WEP key.