Which looks more professional?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi Guys, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter...

I am self employed, and I run a small design studio. When I first setup my business, I set up my email address so that it was the same as my website:

[email protected]

www.businessname.co.uk

However, due to a number of reasons, I now find it more convenient to use a .mac account for all my email requirements. So now it looks like this:

[email protected]

www.businessname.co.uk

A friend has voiced his concerns that '[email protected]' doesn't look as professional as '[email protected]'. He claims, and part of me agrees with him, that the .mac address gives the impression of a cowboy outfit, whereas the the '[email protected]' looks a lot more established and professional.

Now there's an argument for going down the .mac route because it's a lot more functional (I can check my mail on multiple machines without fear of losing emails, and any changes I make to the filing structure is automatically updated across all my Macs) but will it turn potential clients off. There's also an arguement that a '[email protected]' advertises my website.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

A friend has voiced his concerns that '[email protected]' doesn't look as professional as '[email protected]'. He claims, and part of me agrees with him, that the .mac address gives the impression of a cowboy outfit, whereas the the '[email protected]' looks a lot more established and professional.

Agreed.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Keep businessname.co.uk and forward email to [email protected]. Your friend is correct.

The only gotcha is that email from you appears as [email protected] unless you change some settings but no idea how that's done in mail.app as I don't use mail.app. Perhaps the easiest is to set the outgoing mail server to the businessname.co.uk one.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Keep businessname.co.uk and forward email to [email protected]. Your friend is correct.

The only gotcha is that email from you appears as [email protected] unless you change some settings but no idea how that's done in mail.app as I don't use mail.app. Perhaps the easiest is to set the outgoing mail server to the businessname.co.uk one.

Seconded. And setting the outgoing server is just a dropdown on the front Mail window.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Hi Guys, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter...

I am self employed, and I run a small design studio. When I first setup my business, I set up my email address so that it was the same as my website:

[email protected]

www.businessname.co.uk

However, due to a number of reasons, I now find it more convenient to use a .mac account for all my email requirements. So now it looks like this:

[email protected]

www.businessname.co.uk

You are aware you can still keep the business name eMail address, and get it to redirect to the .Mac address, aren't you?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You are aware you can still keep the business name eMail address, and get it to redirect to the .Mac address, aren't you?

Yeah, that's what I'm doing at the moment ? but it still means that I have to rely on a POP setup feeding the IMAP setup.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The only other thing with the [email protected] address is that it's a little easier for people to remember than the other address (see, I forgot it already)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    mac.com like gmail.com, hotmail.com, yahoo.com is more of a personal email address. Note thou you are assocating with the brand. either Apple, Google, Microsoft, Yahoo.

Apple and Google have good brands value.

When you are a small business being self employed, .mac can work to your advantage. Your customers know you have a Macintosh.

Wikipedia states: Market research indicates that Apple draws its customer base from an artistic, creative, and well-educated population, which may explain the platform?s visibility within certain youthful, avant-garde subcultures.

So you are automatically avant-garde, well-educated and creative. Which is good for business.

Unless you have the money to build your own brand, have dreams of have a company with lots of people. I would go with Apple brand.

Im for [email protected] in your case.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    One of the main benefits of .mac for me is that I can sync my mail over multiple Macs. Also, with POP3, if I have a machine running in the studio, and I'm out and about with the laptop, the machine in the studio will often snatch the new mail and it'll never show up on the laptop. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, and I missed several 'perishable' emails (offering me work).

At one point, I had three Macs accessing the same POP account and the whole thing was a complete bloody shambles. I'm always having to duck out of the studio and I often have to work between two locations and I freelance in various other locations as well - so simply switching off the machines before I duck out is not always realistic. Before long you have a number of machines none of which have a complete record of your emails, sent or received. Also, coming home to rearrange the days mail in to all the folders in Mail AGAIN, wears very thin very quickly.

The more I think about it, the more I realsie that .mac is just so much better for me at the moment. If I ever get to the point where I'm sitting in the one studio all day then perhaps a POP3 account will work for me. Until that day, I'm quite happy to look unprofessional...