Vista and my switch to OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With the launch today of Vista, Microsoft has been touting that ?the ?WOW? starts hear?. As an IT Marketing person I?ve been beta testing Visa and can say it is a GREAT improvement over XP. However when you put that into the context of the other operating systems out there today, and how truly awful XP was, being a great improvement over XP isn?t the ringing endorsement it may seem. And is truly no great achievement for over 5 years work.

My take on Microsoft?s ?the ?WOW? starts hear? campaign for Vista will have many soon thinking the ?WOW? stands for ?Why Oh Why? didn?t I get an Apple Mac? Or more likely still, ?World Of Worries? as Vista falls pray to virus after virus and malware attacks.

Pure frustration with the wait for Vista and the constant virus attacks that came with use XP led me to switch my home computer to Apple?s new Intel MacBook Pro earlier this year. I had already dabbled with OS X in the past on friends machines and always found it smooth, clean and an enjoyable experience. If anything my years on Windows made me over complicate things such as when I first tried to uninstall something and couldn?t find the add remove programmes. Perplexed and slightly unnerved I called a friend who explained all you had to do was to drag the programme from your applications folder to the trash and then empty the trash. Such simplicity, and yet also so logical!!

But my main fear of switch was compatibility and with the launch of Intel Mac?s that concern went out the ?window? (as it were). Since switching I have had nothing but pure computing bliss at home? with the constant nightmare of XP each day in the office!!

The first time I got to use Visa I was amazed that a lot of what it offers as ?new? has been around on Apple?s OS X since 2001!! And while much hype and attention has been paid to Vista?s new Aero interface, the demands on system resources that come with it mean most current, RECENT computers would struggle under the strain. The glossy look and feel of Vista is pure OS X, yet I?ve seen friends install OS X on original 1990?s CRT iMAC?s and have their machines run perfectly!!

Oh how I can?t WAIT for Leopard to wipe those smug faces off the boys down in IT. Who, to be fair are only in gainful employment because of Microsoft?s inability to create stable, secure products!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Welcome to OS X. Vista is, indeed, bound to be a huge upgrade for windows users. XP is very long in the tooth, after all. I hope Vista delivers on all of XPs shortcomings (security, multitasking, etc).

Anything that makes the Windows user experience more like OS X can only be a good thing. ANd I agree, Apple were waiting for Vista to be released before making radical changes to OS X. Leopard should be very interesting.

I've read that MS will be getting into the HUGE antivirus market. That to me sounds like selling you the problem, and then selling you the solution.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

Welcome to OS X. Vista is, indeed, bound to be a huge upgrade for windows users. XP is very long in the tooth, after all. I hope Vista delivers on all of XPs shortcomings (security, multitasking, etc).

Anything that makes the Windows user experience more like OS X can only be a good thing. ANd I agree, Apple were waiting for Vista to be released before making radical changes to OS X. Leopard should be very interesting.

I've read that MS will be getting into the HUGE antivirus market. That to me sounds like selling you the problem, and then selling you the solution.

so very well said.

I have always thought that Microsoft had created an ecosystem out of their subpar programming.

they sell an OS and applications, then they have enterprising companies come in and make money off of fixing the issues. Rather than MS fixing the issues, they figure, "Hey, with all of this attention on Windows (daily updates, virus scans, spyware scans, malware scans, adware scans, service pack this and that) it keeps our customers thinking about us constantly, so let's even HELP those guys who work to better our Os, but only enough to keep them dependent."

MS created a product that at first (although a blatant Mac rip-off) had a brilliant plan to have many partners and they grew huge. next thing you know, they have such market share that the market bows to them. They then leverage this to try to force people to have no other alternative to them.

it is nice to see that this day and age, folks are getting smart and refusing to buy into such trash, being so gullible and led down a path that does nothing to improve life for them, but certainly makes Ms richer. there is nothing wrong with making money. That is why many of us do most of what we do. The difference is, with Apple, you see a great return on your investment, with MS only they see a great return on YOUR investment.

I was a Pc guy. Now, I think I will stick with Mac. Been that way for over a year -- I could not have even imagined it would be this good. When you go to Mac, you have to learn to think all over again. Instead of constant worry and babysitting your computer, it simply works right and it is pretty fun to use because it is rock-solid reliable, easy to use, and really purty to boot.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I was just thinking that I'd be ashamed to be a Microsoft employee today.

"You guys have been working on Vista for 5 years and that's all you have to show for it?" is probably a typical thing heard by Redmond employees lately.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jbird View Post

With the launch today of Vista, Microsoft has been touting that ?the ?WOW? starts hear?. As an IT Marketing person I?ve been beta testing Visa and can say it is a GREAT improvement over XP. ...?the ?WOW? starts hear? ...

You are in IT marketing and don't know the difference between "here" and "hear"???

• Reply 5 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jbird View Post

With the launch today of Vista, Microsoft has been touting that ‘the “WOW” starts hear’. As an IT Marketing person I’ve been beta testing Visa and can say it is a GREAT improvement over XP. However when you put that into the context of the other operating systems out there today, and how truly awful XP was, being a great improvement over XP isn’t the ringing endorsement it may seem. And is truly no great achievement for over 5 years work.

My take on Microsoft’s ‘the “WOW” starts hear’ campaign for Vista will have many soon thinking the “WOW” stands for “Why Oh Why” didn’t I get an Apple Mac? Or more likely still, “World Of Worries” as Vista falls pray to virus after virus and malware attacks.

Pure frustration with the wait for Vista and the constant virus attacks that came with use XP led me to switch my home computer to Apple’s new Intel MacBook Pro earlier this year. I had already dabbled with OS X in the past on friends machines and always found it smooth, clean and an enjoyable experience. If anything my years on Windows made me over complicate things such as when I first tried to uninstall something and couldn’t find the add remove programmes. Perplexed and slightly unnerved I called a friend who explained all you had to do was to drag the programme from your applications folder to the trash and then empty the trash. Such simplicity, and yet also so logical!!

But my main fear of switch was compatibility and with the launch of Intel Mac’s that concern went out the “window” (as it were). Since switching I have had nothing but pure computing bliss at home… with the constant nightmare of XP each day in the office!!

The first time I got to use Visa I was amazed that a lot of what it offers as “new” has been around on Apple’s OS X since 2001!! And while much hype and attention has been paid to Vista’s new Aero interface, the demands on system resources that come with it mean most current, RECENT computers would struggle under the strain. The glossy look and feel of Vista is pure OS X, yet I’ve seen friends install OS X on original 1990’s CRT iMAC’s and have their machines run perfectly!!

Oh how I can’t WAIT for Leopard to wipe those smug faces off the boys down in IT. Who, to be fair are only in gainful employment because of Microsoft’s inability to create stable, secure products!

You should post that story on the site I'll be setting up in the coming months. WindowstoMac.com, I'll also cutely be parking another related domain there too (Thinkingofswitching.com). The site will be called 'Windows to Mac'. It will simply be a long page of un-edited real life switcher stories. If a story is abusive or spam users can mark it as such, then it will auto-disappear. There will be no forums or no store, or anything like that, just one long page. I'll let you guys know when it's ready.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Granted, Apple based OS X off of FreeBSD (Unix) which gave them a head start WRT reliability, mutitasking, etc, but how does i take as long as it did for Vista to be released?

I guess we'll never know.

In any event, if I was a Windows user (I'm not), I'd be stoked about Vista. Welcome to the 21st century!

At $400USD, though, or £600, I'd be looking into Linux right about now. On a machine that's been running XP, Linux is comparatively so fast, it'd be like getting a new computer.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You are in IT marketing and don't know the difference between "here" and "hear"???

As he's posting on an informal forum and not presenting a multi-page sales proposal to a Fortune 500 company, I think you can ignore a few spelling errors.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
  • Reply 9 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You should be aware we've all seen this at digg, and yes I agree.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You should be aware we've all seen this at digg, and yes I agree.

Digg? Never. Got it from Reddit...

Sorry for the redundancy though.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I watched Gates on The Daily Show the other night and he mentioned how they worked with families over two years ago to help develop Vista. Seriously how much has computing changed over the past two years, especially in the emerging Web 2.0 space what with YouTube, MySpace and video download services, etc. I had a chuckle when he said that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I was just thinking that I'd be ashamed to be a Microsoft employee today.

"You guys have been working on Vista for 5 years and that's all you have to show for it?" is probably a typical thing heard by Redmond employees lately.