Is this an OS 10.4 bug? (re. backing up data to DVD)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have encountered what appears to be a bug on several occasions, on the new Intel Mac (using disk burner) to back up data. After inserting a blank DVD, I drag the items to be copied onto the Disk to be burned. However, if I delete any files (which should be alias? of the original files) from the blank DVD by dragging to the trash and then emptying -- the original files are also deleted ? permanently. (!!!!)

This is not the way it used to work. Is this a bug? As a precautionary measure I created duplicates of the files I wish to back up to DVD so I will not lose the original files. This is using Mac OS 10.4 on a new Intel dual core machine.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

I have encountered what appears to be a bug on several occasions, on the new Intel Mac (using disk burner) to back up data. After inserting a blank DVD, I drag the items to be copied onto the Disk to be burned. However, if I delete any files (which should be alias? of the original files) from the blank DVD by dragging to the trash and then emptying -- the original files are also deleted ? permanently. (!!!!)

This is not the way it used to work. Is this a bug? As a precautionary measure I created duplicates of the files I wish to back up to DVD so I will not lose the original files. This is using Mac OS 10.4 on a new Intel dual core machine.

Has anyone heard of this before?

What version of OS 10.4 ? 10.4.8? Also, do you mean dragging to the Trash *after* the DVD has been burnt?

Are you using a "New Burn Folder" and then drag stuff into that....?