Aluminum 6G iPod in colors?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you think the chances are the 6G iPod will be like the nano or the shuffle, made in aluminum and perhaps available in multiple colors?. Considering how bad my 5G scratches I'd love that. Plus a little color would be kind of nice.

Or who here thinks it will get the iPhone case design instead?

It's a hard call for me personally. If Apple designs the 6G iPod to look just like the iPhone, they run the risk of people confusing the two, and I get the impression Apple wants the iPhone to stand out as it's own new kind of product..

So if that's the case maybe the 6G iPod will be a totally different design. Perhaps a current 5G iPod in an aluminum case with a slightly larger 3" non-touch screen tilted on it's size (kind a like the zune) and a nano sized click wheel? It's really be game for that. As much as the iPhone touch screen looks cool for browsing the web and stuff I don't think it would be of any benefit on an iPod which would have no web browsing capabilities. I'd rather have the click wheel. It's a solid design you can feel out in your pocket..

I guess I'm just not so hot on the iPhone design. I think it's got a little more revising to do before it shares its design with the iPod line. Plus I'd hate to have to use two hands to work it the way Steve kept demoing it. And I don't want another ipod that will scratch up. Why should the larger more expensive iPod have such a huge fault when the cheaper ones don't. That's not fair. I'd even be cool I guess if everything stayed the same including the screen size and it just got a nice tough nano/shuffle like case and more storage capacity

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    i was thinking the same thing! i would love a nano styled ipod!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

i was thinking the same thing! i would love a nano styled ipod!

Apple real iPod has never been in colors. And likely never will be.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Apple real iPod has never been in colors. And likely never will be.

Why do you say never? I rarely like it when people use never... It's difficult to tell the future.

It wouldn't cost much money to mimic the iPod Nano case on a bigger iPod and anodize the cases. I'd go out on a limb and say it would be cheaper to do that than have 2 different colors of plastic, black and white. I think I'd really like to see poppa iPod get a colored nano style case.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I would not say never, but I highly doubt the ipods will be colorful. It's the distinction between the hi-end iPods and the Nanos and shuffle's.

I think the widescreen iPod will be either black or silver in aluminum, just like the current Nanos. Another possibility is a similar look of the iphone.

I just hope it's here soon. Hopefully 5" screen, 100gb to 120gb, camera connector ready, contacts, calendar and touch screen UI.

Come on Apple, bring it on sooner than later!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Actually, when you think about it, the current iPod line-up reverses the materials expectations Apple has set up with their computers: white and black plastic for consumer models, aluminum for pro.

And there's a reason they do that, aluminum enclosures seem "classier" and more durable than their poly-carbonate counterparts.

The Nanos and Shuffles are going to start making the HDD iPods look dowdy by comparison, not to mention a lot more scratch prone.

I would have to assume Apple's got a new look up their sleeve, maybe iPhone style, maybe just the current look with a bigger screen and aluminum enclosures.

How hard is it to do white in aluminum? That may be the one thing holding them back-- the white iPod is an icon they might not want to drop.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    i don't know about full aluminum shell, but I think Apple might put aluminum on the backside of the iPod, like the iPhone, and use some other plastic other than the current one. It's that image everyone has of the iPod: shiny plastic case on the from, metal on the back..

I say make a green iPod, then Greenpeace will be happy

Maybe they'll use that matte plastic that they use on the Blackbooks, but in white as well...but that would show smudges... maybe they'll make a totally new plastic that's indestructible and doesn't show smudges ever

I agree that there will most likely be a full screen iPod, at least i hope so. It just seems so feasible now more than ever. And a new UI would probably be likely since tapping such a small line is difficult
  • Reply 7 of 14
    They can have a bigger screen without it being a touchscreen. And I think they will. But I think that if they made the 6G just like the iPhone but with a big hard drive and no phone, a lot of people won't buy the iPhone. I know I wouldn't. I would care much more for capacity then phone service. Especially if everything else was the same.

So I think for that reason they will make the 6G iPod without a touch screen but still possibly make it a 3 or 3.5 inch widescreen with a click wheel underneath.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

They can have a bigger screen without it being a touchscreen. And I think they will.

if we see a widescreen with glass on the entire face on an iPod, it's going to be a touchscreen.

I think the physical click wheel days are numbered for the iPod. It will stay on the Nano, but otherwise, I see Apple moving into to that direction on the near future.

It's a tough discussion to see if either the widescreen iPod will be here before the iPhone or if they will canabalize sales of the iPhone. I for one think without the phone and the wireless capability, the iPod 6g will have a huge distinction to the iPhone, so it won't affect it sales. Plus, the sales of the 5g iPod must be in a completely halt at this point because what the iPhone is showing us. So Apple better have it sooner.

I want one way more than the iPhone
  • Reply 9 of 14
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

AThe Nanos and Shuffles are going to start making the HDD iPods look dowdy by comparison, not to mention a lot more scratch prone.

My friend to another friend, on her black 5G iPod:

"Why is your iPod so big?!"
  • Reply 10 of 14
    re the click wheel getting removed

if you saw the keynote speech from mac world

steve gave SERIOUS attention to the innovations Apple have given the world

THE MOUSE

THE CLICK WHEEL

and now MULTI TOUCH

we are still using mice arnt we?

so why would Apple drop the click wheel when it has become an iconic user interface like the mouse... AND ONLY APPLE can make the click wheel.

why would they stop using it in the iPod and risk some other company making mp3 players that do use it... i mean after a while that company could just say "well hey, they dont make em any more, no fair, if they (apple) wont use it then we will."

Apple wont let go of the click wheel any time soon, so i think you wont see full screen iPods any time soon.

i think you will see as 16GB nanos become a norm the big capacity iPods have a 40GB click wheel ONLY model and a touch/wide screen 100GB movie model that looks similar to the iPhone.

then again im not an analyst so i could be wron.... oh wait a minute
  • Reply 11 of 14
    since they've obviously developed an example touch-screen technology, it seems crazy to only utilise it on the iphone
  • Reply 12 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

so why would Apple drop the click wheel when it has become an iconic user interface like the mouse... AND ONLY APPLE can make the click wheel.

why would they stop using it in the iPod and risk some other company making mp3 players that do use it... i mean after a while that company could just say "well hey, they dont make em any more, no fair, if they (apple) wont use it then we will."

Apple wont let go of the click wheel any time soon, so i think you wont see full screen iPods any time soon.

i think you will see as 16GB nanos become a norm the big capacity iPods have a 40GB click wheel ONLY model and a touch/wide screen 100GB movie model that looks similar to the iPhone.

then again im not an analyst so i could be wron.... oh wait a minute

Just because they don't use them in the "video ipod" doesn't mean they still wouldn't produce the same style they have now. A lot of people would prefer today's style over a full video ipod like the iphone.... and visa versa. It makes sense to have both versions co-exist. Then there is always the nano that will have the click wheel too.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

re the click wheel getting removed

my point was the the click wheel will be gone for the full widescreen ipod. These will sport the touch screen interface.

The current ipods and the nano will keep their click wheel. I love the click wheel, but with the new touch screen technology, that's going to be use on the future widescreen ipods. Apple is about simplicity and design. I don't want a larger widescreen ipod just to keep the click wheel there. Apple probably will have a screen that is the size(5"?) of the face of the current 5g ipod. That seems to be the logical step. Unless there is a magical solution out there to keep the physical click wheel and the widescreen iPod without getting larger that nobody can see it.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Why do you say never? I rarely like it when people use never... It's difficult to tell the future.

It wouldn't cost much money to mimic the iPod Nano case on a bigger iPod and anodize the cases. I'd go out on a limb and say it would be cheaper to do that than have 2 different colors of plastic, black and white. I think I'd really like to see poppa iPod get a colored nano style case.

"LIKELY NEVER"

as in, the most likely will not ever. That is not never.