eye candy in vista vs tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i just ordered in tiger and my brother just bought vista for his laptop. now he is a big mac hater and ths will be my first time using one so how will my tiger look compared to vista with its cheap little effects?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    The Windows Vista design is so glaringly bad, only people with bad user interface taste will think its cool and hip. Show your brother tiger, tell him that the Mac has been doing what vista has been doing for years. Remind him that he can get a preview of Windows 2012 later this spring when Leopard comes out
  • Reply 2 of 30
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Seriously, stop caring. He is just being really, really immature. Just use your computer and you will understand why it is so great. Let him deal with all the effects of the smoke-and-mirrors for a while ,and it will get annoying. I bet he's turned it off after a month, and then it's just XP Black.

Wait a second - if you have a separate computer from your brother, why don't you just set a password for your account. That would keep your brother from deleting files. Isn't that your other problem?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Also, design of a GUI is about ease-of-use, clarity, and the ability to look at it for extended periods. You'll see that the simple, diverse, and pretty look of OS X is much better.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Eye candy is less functional in Vista.

The glass effect...too much. No point in using this effect! It only distracts.

Secondly, the Vista Expose clone: less functional. Can I see the window in the back instantly? Nope.

Probably Microsoft did try to avoid a patent issue here and put all the windows in perspective.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    How does that Vista Exposé thing work anyway. Let's say you want to drag and drop something onto another window. With tiger, you just grab something, go to Exposé, hover over the window you want and then drop it in.

If you hover over a window in the Vista thing, do the windows automatically start to scroll so you can find the one you want and then drop it in? Can you even get to the Vista thing like you can in Tiger by using activated corners on your screen?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    what is expose???
  • Reply 7 of 30
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

what is expose???

An invaluable feature http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/expose/
  • Reply 8 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

what is expose???

Welcome to AI. Here's a Quicktime demo.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

Let's say you want to drag and drop something onto another window. With tiger, you just grab something, go to Exposé, hover over the window you want and then drop it in.

What?

Does that only work when invoking Exposé with a Mighty Mouse? Because I tried click-holding a couple different things (image file and a folder,) pressing F10 and dragging but they won't drop. I also tried doing that after pressing F9.

Attempting to drag Untitled Folder 3 into Untitled Folder 1, while in Exposé F9. When doing so, a gray and white circle with diagonal line through it (like you would see on a No Smoking sign) would be overtop the file and/or folder I was trying to drop. The sceenshot doesn't show the circle.

edit -- I see. It isn't an instantaneous drop (probably faster with an intel processor). With my computer, it takes a second for the folder to realize that I want to drop the file into it, then it does a quick blink and forefronts itself so I can drop the file into it.

Thx for the tip, kc.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    It works just like spring-loaded folders. The delay is intentional. If it happened instantaneously, it would be very annoying.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Also, you can hit the space bar when you're over the window you want to speed things up.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

i just ordered in tiger and my brother just bought vista for his laptop. now he is a big mac hater and ths will be my first time using one so how will my tiger look compared to vista with its cheap little effects?

just type some commands into your mac to get it to speak...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6320865.stm
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

It works just like spring-loaded folders. The delay is intentional. If it happened instantaneously, it would be very annoying.

Yes, I agree, it would be annoying. However, it would be cool if there was a way to choose the recognition speed, because I tend to do things quite fast. But as physguy wrote, pressing the space bar instantly forefronts it, just as pressing the space bar instantly opens spring-loaded folders. But it would be nice if I were able to change the recognition speed, so the space bar wouldn't need to be used.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

Yes, I agree, it would be annoying. However, it would be cool if there was a way to choose the recognition speed, because I tend to do things quite fast. But as physguy wrote, pressing the space bar instantly forefronts it, just as pressing the space bar instantly opens spring-loaded folders. But it would be nice if I were able to change the recognition speed, so the space bar wouldn't need to be used.

Well I found a reference to the following additional preferences/defaults for expose

wvous-showcorners

wvous-floater-style

wvous-maindisplay

wvous-olddesktop

wvous-spring-delay

wvous-spring

If I type

defaults write com.apple.doc wvous-spring -bool false

killall Dock

in a terminal window then the time delay to spring up goes to forever. Substituting true for false returns it to normal. Unfortunately either it doesn't actually use the wvous-spring-delay value or I don't know how to set it as typing

defaults write com.apple.doc wvous-spring-delay 1

killall Dock

has no effect. Maybe someone else can figure out the format (if any) of how to utilize the wvous-spring-delay.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    OK so this does it - speed up the spring delay in expose

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-spring-delay -int 20

killall Dock

Where the 20, as best I can tell, is in milli-seconds. Obviously it won't go in 20 msec but I put 20, 200 and 2000 in for the number and didn't percieve much of a change before 2000 and then it was about a 2 second count.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Ah......

Remember when people were worried that offering a command line interface in OS X would be the death of the "real" Mac? That lazy developers would start relying on obscure Unix stuff to implement functionality?

Instead, we get easy ways to tweak little things to our hearts content, like this tip and the one in another thread about changing the default behavior of iTunes.

Beats the hell out of having at things with Resedit from Classic days.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Oh yea, that cool little app that could do so many things. I used ResEdit from the System 6.05 days on until Mac OS 9.2.2. I really miss it sometimes! \
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-spring-delay -int 20

killall Dock

Do I need to Restart the comp after? And where did you find that?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

Do I need to Restart the comp after? And where did you find that?

No, you don't need to restart the computer the command 'killall Dock' will do that. Make sure that Dock is capitlized.

Google is your friend. I googled 'defaults write expose' and found that expose preference were in the com.apple.doc.plist file under the prefix wvous. I then googled defaults write wvous and found that listing.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Make sure that Dock is capitlized.

Google is your friend. I googled 'defaults write expose' and found that expose preference were in the com.apple.doc.plist file under the prefix wvous. I then googled defaults write wvous and found that listing.

I'm guessing you meant the "D" in "Dock" is supposed to be Caps, not the entire word. Okay. Yes, on most occasions, Google and I get along beautifully [laughing].

Thx for the info.