Another switcher...Question about Leopard

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I plan on pulling the trigger and get my first Mac when Leopard is released. However, I have no experience with the Mac OS other than the 20 minutes I spent with a salesperson at the Mac Store. My question is about the classes they offer. I seem to remember a post about a $99/year program where Apple offered classes on how to use a Mac and get the most out of it. What is the program called, and how long after Leopard is released will they be able to teach the new OS?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    They'll be teaching it the next day, most likely... while there are new toys in the new version, the WAY it works is the same ... very quick to learn the new stuff if you're familiar with the old.

That said, if you enjoy just sitting around and playing with/learning about your computer, then you'll learn more just goofing around in one evening (and reading boards like this) than you would in a "class" on how to use OSX.

Still, it might be a fun evening to go meet some other folks who have a common interest.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

I plan on pulling the trigger and get my first Mac when Leopard is released. However, I have no experience with the Mac OS other than the 20 minutes I spent with a salesperson at the Mac Store. My question is about the classes they offer. I seem to remember a post about a $99/year program where Apple offered classes on how to use a Mac and get the most out of it. What is the program called, and how long after Leopard is released will they be able to teach the new OS?

Thanks

Yes, I think if you would like it $99 for ProCare would be a good option.

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/

I think give the Apple Geniuses and Trainers about a month or so after Leopard is released, then go in for your training, setup appointments, etc.

Be sure to check that your new computer will come with Leopard. Which should be within a few weeks at most once Leopard is released. Also, about a month after Leopard is released, that's when you can check with your local Apple Retail store about ProCare and Leopard setup/ training services.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    What KingOfSomewhereHot said above is cool too... 8)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

That said, if you enjoy just sitting around and playing with/learning about your computer, then you'll learn more just goofing around in one evening (and reading boards like this) than you would in a "class" on how to use OSX.

Still, it might be a fun evening to go meet some other folks who have a common interest.

Thanks King. I plan on doing that as soon as I get that baby home! It's how this 43 year old learned Windows from scratch 6 years ago, along with lots of phone calls to Dell (before tech support went to India) and help from Delltalk (Dells community help board) and Cnet's forums. Much banging head on desk! There are still things that would probably take a while for me to uncover on my own, if ever, and I don't have as much free time now as I did back then since I now have a 2 1/2 year old running around the house! I also do like the social aspect too. Also, I'm trying to get my Mom to buy her first computer, and I'm steering her towards a Macbook. Maybe we can attend together!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Yes, I think if you would like it $99 for ProCare would be a good option.

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/

I think give the Apple Geniuses and Trainers about a month or so after Leopard is released, then go in for your training, setup appointments, etc.

Be sure to check that your new computer will come with Leopard. Which should be within a few weeks at most once Leopard is released. Also, about a month after Leopard is released, that's when you can check with your local Apple Retail store about ProCare and Leopard setup/ training services.

Thanks for the link Sunilraman! I like the idea of help with transfering some of my files from my old PC.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

... It's how this 43 year old learned Windows ...

Perhaps it's an age thing ... I have to THINK when I'm sitting in front of a Windows machine, but all 4 of my kids can slide from Mac to Windows and back... to watch them react, you'd think it was all the same OS

(Though they do all fight about who GETS to use the mac, and who HAS to use the HP)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Perhaps it's an age thing ... I have to THINK when I'm sitting in front of a Windows machine, but all 4 of my kids can slide from Mac to Windows and back... to watch them react, you'd think it was all the same OS

(Though they do all fight about who GETS to use the mac, and who HAS to use the HP)

LOL! Hoping to do a little less "thinking" and more doing when I get the Mac! Kids can pick up anything better than and old fart like me, but I chuckle at the "who GETS to use the mac, and who HAS to use the HP"
  • Reply 8 of 8
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    ProCare can be great if you use it as much as you can. iLife isn't hard to learn but you can certainly pick up some tips that could be real timesavers. It's just one of those things that could be a good value or not.

Vinea