I want my BBC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The BBC announced today that you'll soon be able to download and watch their TV programs from the net for a period of 30 days after download or 7 days after first viewing. They reckon it'll be up and running later this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6316857.stm

What they didn't say in the news piece though is that it's based on Windows only digital rights management and software, so no downloading to your iPod, Mac or Linux computer.

Here's what the BBC Trustees have said though...

The Microsoft-based DRM strategy for seven-day TV catch-up over the internet

The BBC Executive proposes a digital rights management solution which would require consumers to be using Windows XP (or above) and Windows Media Player 10 (or above) to be able to access seven-day TV catch-up over the internet. The PVA noted that we would expect the BBC to adopt a platform-agnostic approach. The MIA also identified benefits to a platform-agnostic approach.

We propose to require the BBC Executive to adopt a platform-agnostic approach to rights management within a reasonable timeframe. The MIA notes an expectation that the BBC Executive plans to develop a Real Player alternative in the near future. Our understanding is that the BBC Executive aspires to offer an alternative DRM framework, which would enable Apple and Linux users to access the service, but has yet to identify a satisfactory solution. In either case, we will expect this to have been addressed within 24 months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consul..._services.html

Hmm, so if we're lucky, Mac and Linux users will get a second rate Real Player based service 'in the near future' but watching BBC programs on an iPod or at any decent quality (that rules out Windows Media Player formats or Real) isn't likely.

I think I'll ask for my licence fee back as I've no way of watching the BBC programs from their service.

Same goes for Channel 4 On Demand, who have a public service charter too.

You have until May 2nd to comment on the BBC proposal at the link above (the 2nd one).

I would hope that Apple are paying attention because it would appear most of the TV stations in the UK now are going to use or are using Windows DRM because Apple won't open up Fairplay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Is Windows DRM "open?" How can any DRM be truly open? It sounds to me like they want the shows to expire after a period of time and fairplay doesn't do that.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Yes, they want shows to expire 30 days after download or 7 days after first viewing. Windows DRM is licensable but of course needs Windows Media Player 10, which isn't available on anything but Windows.

I guess the other option of course is to convince Microsoft to let the Flip4Mac people implement DRM in their WMV component.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    The BBC are idiots.

They have the world's largest archive of radio shows and what do they do? Leave 'em in the frickin' vault. Or, maybe, sell you 2 hours on a CD or through Audible for ~20 bucks which is hugely overpriced.

This Windows DRM thing? The stupid on-demand restrictions? The still not selling their shows through iTunes or whatever?

The BBC continues it's unending streak of being as stupid as possible.

Of course every citizen of the UK ponies up money (Around 200 USD a year for the BBC tax. Yes. The BBC has it's own tax) for them regardless of whether they watch/listen to the BBC so they're in a good position regardless of what they do.

"Using a television without an appropriate licence is a criminal offence. Every day we catch an average of 1,200 people using a TV without a licence. There is no valid excuse for using a television and not having a TV Licence, but some people still try - sometimes with the most ridiculous stories ever heard. Our detection equipment will track down your TV. The fact that our enquiry officers are now so well equipped with the latest technology means that there is virtually no way to avoid detection."

-- from the official website of the British Television Licensing Authority, May 2003
  • Reply 4 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    What Europe really needs is BBC on iTunes, via TV Show download. The Beeb would be quite happy to get €2 an episode, so they'll join in.

So get of your lazy holes Apple and bring these discussions to a close, get Luxembourg to sign, and for God's sake get some stores here too, pronto.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

What they didn't say in the news piece though is that it's based on Windows only digital rights management and software, so no downloading to your iPod, Mac or Linux computer.

Here's what the BBC Trustees have said though...

We propose to require the BBC Executive to adopt a platform-agnostic approach to rights management within a reasonable timeframe..

as far as my understanding about the beeb.. they HAVE to be platform agnostic.. otherwise they fall down in their pledge of access for all.

i will find it really odd if they dont work something out.

but if its Apple holding them back then Apple should get their finger out!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

The BBC are idiots.

They have the world's largest archive of radio shows and what do they do? Leave 'em in the frickin' vault. Or, maybe, sell you 2 hours on a CD or through Audible for ~20 bucks which is hugely overpriced.

This Windows DRM thing? The stupid on-demand restrictions? The still not selling their shows through iTunes or whatever?

The BBC continues it's unending streak of being as stupid as possible.

Of course every citizen of the UK ponies up money (Around 200 USD a year for the BBC tax. Yes. The BBC has it's own tax) for them regardless of whether they watch/listen to the BBC so they're in a good position regardless of what they do.

"Using a television without an appropriate licence is a criminal offence. Every day we catch an average of 1,200 people using a TV without a licence. There is no valid excuse for using a television and not having a TV Licence, but some people still try - sometimes with the most ridiculous stories ever heard. Our detection equipment will track down your TV. The fact that our enquiry officers are now so well equipped with the latest technology means that there is virtually no way to avoid detection."

-- from the official website of the British Television Licensing Authority, May 2003

its not a tax, its a fee and there are ways to avoid detection

there are a load of old radio shows played on bbc 7 and are avalible for streaming, just not download and ownership.. or you could ask your local library
  • Reply 7 of 13
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

The BBC are idiots.

Yes the BBC are idiots, however its a tax per household not person and you dont have to pay if you dont have a TV.

However, let me tell you my BBC story. On the 10th Feb this time last year I moved into my place, only to be greeted a few days later with a threatening letter from the BBC about not having a licence.

Being the sheep I am, I duly went off to the post office and bought a licence, who then backdated it to the beginning of the month. Bastards, so in effect I was made to pay nearly a month I didn't have.

Not being content with this, the BBC have then sent me increasingly more threatening letters every 4-6 weeks for the whole year since then, about not having a licence. Morons.

Funny then, that I then got a letter a few weeks ago reminding me that my licence was about to expire and my options for getting a new one. Except now I cant go to the post office because they've stopped doing it there.

Funnier then, just a few days after that, I got a hand delivered letter by one of their prosecution agents who had visited my place to check up on me.

Funnier still, lucky for him, I wasn't in at the time
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

as far as my understanding about the beeb.. they HAVE to be platform agnostic.. otherwise they fall down in their pledge of access for all.

i will find it really odd if they dont work something out.

but if its Apple holding them back then Apple should get their finger out!

They've been trialing their Windows DRM based iMP system for a couple of years now with promises all along saying there would be something for the Mac. Of course now they say it'll not be available at launch and it'll probably be Real based sometime later, which also works on Linux.

I'd have thought going for Real Networks in the first place, since it's the only system that is cross platform would be ideal, however that still rule out iPods.

So far, Apple seems both unwilling to licence Fairplay to even TV companies like the BBC or Channel 4, and hasn't shown any kind of time restricted DRM which would seem to be a requirement for TV companies.

DRM is just one huge mess. Someone should lock all the DRM developers and music, TV and movie companies in a big room and not let them out until they all agree on ONE standard or not to use it at all.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

So far, Apple seems both unwilling to licence Fairplay to even TV companies like the BBC or Channel 4, and hasn't shown any kind of time restricted DRM which would seem to be a requirement for TV companies.

But clearly it's not a requirement for all the TV companies who now sell through iTunes.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

But clearly it's not a requirement for all the TV companies who now sell through iTunes.

That's different. That's like the BBC's DVD sales which are sold some time after the TV show has taken place. There's no reason they couldn't do that still.

iMP is on demand TV over the net - IPTV in other words - live - or allowing for downloading and watching shortly after broadcast. The BBC would be hauled over the coals for charging for that as it would be against it's charter.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

DRM is just one huge mess. Someone should lock all the DRM developers and music, TV and movie companies in a big room and not let them out until they all agree on ONE standard or not to use it at all.

but you know they would still come out with at least 2 types

Real works ok for news stories etc. that i watch now and again, but its not ideal on a sometimes flakey 1Mb connection.. mind you half meg was REALLY bad.. but im too far from the exchange.. price you pay.

do Real networks have a time limited DRM option?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

but you know they would still come out with at least 2 types

Real works ok for news stories etc. that i watch now and again, but its not ideal on a sometimes flakey 1Mb connection.. mind you half meg was REALLY bad.. but im too far from the exchange.. price you pay.

do Real networks have a time limited DRM option?

I believe so. That's how their Rhapsody service works doesn't it?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Yes, they want shows to expire 30 days after download or 7 days after first viewing. Windows DRM is licensable but of course needs Windows Media Player 10, which isn't available on anything but Windows.

I guess the other option of course is to convince Microsoft to let the Flip4Mac people implement DRM in their WMV component.

Fat lot of luck. The Telestream guys say that Microsoft won't licence their DRM to run on any non-Microsoft platform. It's not as if it's going to be any less secure than their existing products, but whatever.