Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, APPLE???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think that apple should come out and dominate the gaming market along with the other markets.

Make the next-gen consoles like the NES systems.

Have multitouch remotes for remotes.

This has been on my mind and well honestly i think they need to get out there and do it

It would expand their products depth, and perhaps width.

Any comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    never and let me repeat never is going to happen!

well who knows...but i think 3 consoles fighting for the top is more then enough. plus apple would probably charge $2000 for it LMAO!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Do you follow the game industry much?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    This topic comes up from time to time it seems.

Never going to happen. Apple will never enter the video game hardware market.

They might license technology to some other company willing to risk its financial neck. But there will be no Apple Branded video game system.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    If Apple was a game software maker, maybe. But Apple is definitely not a game software maker and nobody makes much if any money on the hardware (which is where Apple makes it's money) in the game industry. I think this is what Ar4wY was getting at too.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by burned View Post

Any comments?

Look up the Pippin.

Apple's typical strategy is to make money on the hardware. Their software doesn't make them nearly as much money.

I think three's a crowd here, the development effort is split among four platforms and they only really make money on the licensed software.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The games market - is not a great way of making money at the moment. MS and Sony are losing money. Nintendo has been a little more successful - but has done so by *not* going after hard-core gamers.

Apple already make a product which is not a million miles from the Xbox1 or Wii in terms of gaming power. It is certainly a more able games machine (in theory) than the PS2. And that product is the Apple TV.

Apple could make cash by going after young and casual gamers. You can imagine Apple TV users downloading $10 games Just like the iPod users do. So there is an opportunity here because casual gamers have never been chased by the games industry.

But let's be honest, it would depend on the Apple TV being a success as a media box first and a game console second.

C.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    They've already been there and done that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin