expose and ntfs question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi, just got my new macbook pro.

was wondering about using expose F9 and F10 keys because they are set for contrast or something, where can i change this so i don't have to hold the function key while pressing F9 or F10?

also i have an external ntfs drive that i am trying to copy my old files from, it has 2 partitions on it yet (both ntfs) osx only sees one of them? any ideas?

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jp_flashman View Post

hi, just got my new macbook pro.

was wondering about using expose F9 and F10 keys because they are set for contrast or something, where can i change this so i don't have to hold the function key while pressing F9 or F10?

F9, F10 and F11 are the default keys for invoking Exposé. So that's kind of strange that F9 and F10 are changing the Contrast or something.

Click the Apple icon in the menu bar and choose System Preferences.

In System Preferences choose Dashboard & Exposé.

See what the Dashboard & Exposé keys are set to. If they aren't the defaults, change them to F9, F10 and F11 respectively. If they are already set to F9, F10 and F11, change them to something different, such as F6, F7 and F8. Close System Preferences and try those keys. See if they properly invoke Exposé. Whether they do or not, go back into System Preferences>Dashboard & Exposé, and change them back to the default F9, F10 and F11. Then see if Exposé works with the proper keys. (note: I've changed the Dashboard key to F6 on my computer, by default it's F12)

If they don't, then I don't know. Maybe a Repair Disk Permissions is needed.

You can repair the Disk Permissions by going into your Application folder>Utilities folder>Disk Utility. If your Utilities folder is in its original place in the Applications folder, you can go directly to it instead of first going to the Applications folder (see screen capture).

(On my computer, I've moved the Utilities folder to a different location in another folder that's also inside the Application folder, so Shift-Command-U or clicking the Utilities folder in Menu Bar>Go doesn't work for me.)

Disk Utiility icon you're looking for in the Utilities folder

Select your HD from the box on the left. If it shows 2 Disk's, choose the one with Disk information (GB, kind) then click the Repair Disk Permission button. When it's finished, try Exposé again and see if it works correctly.

Otherwise, I have no idea.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thanks for the detailed guide.

however know about the settings and they are set to F9 F10 etc they do work when you hold down fn key (function) and F9 or 10. on my macbook pro there is a marking on the F9 F10 keys i think to do with contrast or ilumination and therefore that seems to override and be the primary use for the F9 F10 keys. must be way around it. F11 F12 are fine they are not marked with anything though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You're welcome.

I did a quick Google search under the query "macbook pro contrast expose keyboard" and found a (possible) answer at the blog http://hyperreality.wordpress.com/.

Quote:

10 tips for new Mac users, switching from Windows

2. Expose with F9

I found it annoying that I had to click Fn+F9 to bring Expose up. If I clicked F9, it would change the keyboard light intensity. So, the hardware F9 and the sofware F9 have to be swapped. This is how: Go to System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse, click the Keyboard tab and check the box that says “Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features”. Now when you press F9, it will bring Expose and when you press Fn+F9 it will change the keyboard light intensity. This is the same for the other keys like volume and display brightness. For example, the volume increase is situated on F5, which is used as the refresh button in browsers in Windows. By ticking the box mentioned above, you can use F5 to refresh you browser now!

• Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

You're welcome.

I did a quick Google search under the query "macbook pro contrast expose keyboard" and found a (possible) answer at the blog http://hyperreality.wordpress.com/.

that is exactly what i was looking for, must have missed it but knew it was somewhere.

thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Is there any way to have the F9, and F10 work for expose and keep the other keys for the system functions (what the marking say they do?)

If I check the the box that says “Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features” then, for example, I have to press the fn key every time I want to change the volume. And if I don't check it, then I have to press the fn key everytime I want to use expose...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I kept my hardware keys because I like the functions they provide. I use the F11 key for all the expose options. F11 all windows, option F11 app windows and ctrl F11 for desktop.