If i was to go to an apple store ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When leopard comes out i'm going to buy a black macbook. But i'm curious about something. I don't have a credit card cause i'm only 16 and don't really need one, and i want 2 Gb ram, so if i was to go to the store would they have pre-built 2gb macbooks? because i can't get them off the net without a credit card

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    There are a variety of methods of payment online:

http://www.apple.com/support/store/shop/payments.html
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

There are a variety of methods of payment online:

http://www.apple.com/support/store/shop/payments.html

i live in canada. i went to the canadian store and i couldn't find any of that. i don't think it's possible for a canadian citizen to send in a money order.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I don't know if its the same in Canada as it is in the US, but here, you can get a checking account at your bank tied to a debit card. Debit cards can be used (and most often are) as credit cards.

I've ordered from apple before and put in my debit card number where it asked for my "credit" card number online. worked just fine.

Just talk to your parents about setting up a checking account at a bank.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

When leopard comes out i'm going to buy a black macbook. But i'm curious about something. I don't have a credit card cause i'm only 16 and don't really need one, and i want 2 Gb ram, so if i was to go to the store would they have pre-built 2gb macbooks? because i can't get them off the net without a credit card

Maybe you could go to the store, tell them that you have the cash but not a credit card, and want 2GB RAM for the Macbook. See if they'll order it configured to your desires, then you buy it from them at the store.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - Ø®£Z - View Post

Maybe you could go to the store, tell them that you have the cash but not a credit card, and want 2GB RAM for the Macbook. See if they'll order it configured to your desires, then you buy it from them at the store.

yeah, that's a good idea, probably what i'll end up doing.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

i live in canada. i went to the canadian store and i couldn't find any of that. i don't think it's possible for a canadian citizen to send in a money order.

The link from the Canadian Apple Store goes to the same place (probably in error), but I can almost guarantee it that they also access money orders, bank transfers, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I just called my local Apple Store a few days ago and asked if I could purchase an iMac with upgraded RAM at their location. They told me they would do the RAM upgrade on the spot for me as long as they had the necessary RAM modules in stock. RAM was the only part of the stock configuration they said they could upgrade -- any other upgrade options would have to be done through the online Apple store.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post

I just called my local Apple Store a few days ago and asked if I could purchase an iMac with upgraded RAM at their location. They told me they would do the RAM upgrade on the spot for me as long as they had the necessary RAM modules in stock. RAM was the only part of the stock configuration they said they could upgrade -- any other upgrade options would have to be done through the online Apple store.

makes sense, seeing as all the ram upgrade is just inserting a gig of ram into a slot and closing it back up
  • Reply 9 of 18
    westwest Posts: 34member
    The Apple Stores don't have any configurations of MacBooks with 2GB RAM. All of them come with two matching sticks of RAM, so the builds with 1GB are actually 2x512 sticks. So if you wanted them to upgrade it to 2GB for you, it would probably cost more than just doing a custom build online. What you can do that should work well is go into the store and buy a gift card for the amount you need, then use that card to purchase it online with the specs you want.

Justin
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by West View Post

The Apple Stores don't have any configurations of MacBooks with 2GB RAM. All of them come with two matching sticks of RAM, so the builds with 1GB are actually 2x512 sticks. So if you wanted them to upgrade it to 2GB for you, it would probably cost more than just doing a custom build online. What you can do that should work well is go into the store and buy a gift card for the amount you need, then use that card to purchase it online with the specs you want.

Justin

excellent idea. haha big freaking gift card i'll tell ya that much, it's gonna be for like 2100 dollars because of the taxes !
  • Reply 11 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If I was to walk to an Apple store I wouldn't only be very tired, but i'd drown in the process.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    When I went to an Apple store, and was actually paying attention, the Macbooks had jsut come out...And at the store, there was a 512mb configuration and a 1 gb configuration of the white Macbooks...

I don't know about now, but over the summer, I saw them both. I hope that helps

Also, when I was at the store, the Apple employee was talking to a person who had just bought a Macbook and wanted to upgrade the hard drive. The employee was talking to his manager, and she said it was possible but it void the warranty???
  • Reply 13 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    If I were to go to an Apple store...

I tell ya, there's just no respect for the subjunctive mood these days.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    There's one major problem with boot camp for me though. See the thing is, i don't have a service pack 2 cd, and i'm not going to spend like 250 dollars to get one. I might be able to get vista for free, but it's not guaranteed. Do any of you guys know where i could get a legal copy of windows xp service pack 2 for cheap cheap.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

There's one major problem with boot camp for me though. See the thing is, i don't have a service pack 2 cd, and i'm not going to spend like 250 dollars to get one. I might be able to get vista for free, but it's not guaranteed. Do any of you guys know where i could get a legal copy of windows xp service pack 2 for cheap cheap.

I know where you can get a copy for free and it's 100% legal, but it requires you to break the law. And I don't have such a copy on my desk.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

I don't know what you mean by "cheap cheap", but you should be able to find an OEM version for around $100USD. I think I got mine from Amazon.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cheap cheap as in 20 bucks or cheaper, pm me about "your" copy ireland.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

If I were to go to an Apple store...

I tell ya, there's just no respect for the subjunctive mood these days.

Heh! Another common mistake seen everywhere is people using singular for plural as in "Apple are ..."

But back to the subject. Don't you have a friend with a credit card that would purchase it for you online and you give him the cash?