configuring my router??!!??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi there..I am sure this has been listed before by othersw but I am using acqusition and getting torrents etc etc

I have been wondering why they seem to take days to downloa dand a friend told me I need to configure my router ports to help get faster downloads?

I am not a technical guy at all...I don't even know where to begin to do such a thing. Is anyone able to help me..walk me through it so I can speed things up...my torrents average 2-3kbs

driving me nuts...

Thanks heaps

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Hi,

Can't tell you about your exact system, depends on your provider.

For me it was the following.

Go to router information. - isp should give you an address such as

http://speedtouch.lan/

or simply an IP address

That should take you to the settings for you router. This is where you can up the level of security etc.

Click settings and configure (language is slightly different between isp's) and you should have a setting for games playing

Clicking that gave me a selection of things to enable - Gnutella, Torrent, Chat, various games etc and just authorise what you need.

Hope that helps until a genuine genius replies.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hey there thank you very much.

I have found that page and can see what you mean...I have a whole list of games and other rules I can apply.

I am using a program called acquisition to file share and I don't see that there as an option to enable....

do you know which rule it is I should apply to help make my downloads quicker??

is it gnutella??

or is there something else i should be "opening"up....

Also on the first page of my routers advanced informationg it asks if I want to enable UPnP??

Do I want to do that? I have no idea what any of this means and last night I tried to do it myself and wound up with no internet for most of the morning until my local internet provider rebooted it all for me..

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am staring a bunch of downloads that say they are going to take about 8000 days to finish.....0.2kbs...driving me crazy ..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by holyroller View Post

Hi,

Can't tell you about your exact system, depends on your provider.

For me it was the following.

Go to router information. - isp should give you an address such as

http://speedtouch.lan/

or simply an IP address

That should take you to the settings for you router. This is where you can up the level of security etc.

Click settings and configure (language is slightly different between isp's) and you should have a setting for games playing

Clicking that gave me a selection of things to enable - Gnutella, Torrent, Chat, various games etc and just authorise what you need.

Hope that helps until a genuine genius replies.

• Reply 3 of 6
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Which torrent app are you using?

You need to port forward a certain port for better speeds with torrents.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Which torrent app are you using?

You need to port forward a certain port for better speeds with torrents.

I am using acquisition for my torrent downloads...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    This is from the aquisition release notes

improved gnutella core

improved inspection of itunes playlists

ignore spam files disguised as 100+ downloads

modified BitTorrent core

So a good start is to authorise Gnutella and Bittorrent.

Could it just be poor seeder to leech ratio for the files you are trying to download?

Try downloading something Very new and Very popular once you've opened up those ports

also, since this is a genuine prgram (paid for) are there no tips in the readme file?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    use a standard speed test site like:

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Test to different server and mutlipy time.

Speed can be depend and server bandwidth, how busy it is, how may jumps there are to the server, use trace router, network utilities in utilities folder to find that out. You can also see where on the route it is slow.

Best test is one step away like your ISP, most have free ftp server for testing.