Largest hard drive for MacBook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the largest hard disc is that I can install in a MacBook? I think Apple offers a max of 120gig, but if I bought a drive from some store can i install it in the MacBook?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Hi,

Can someone tell me what the largest hard disc is that I can install in a MacBook? I think Apple offers a max of 120gig, but if I bought a drive from some store can i install it in the MacBook?

Cheers

As long as it is a 2.5" SATA drive, it should work. The largest ones available are 200 GB.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

As long as it is a 2.5" SATA drive, it should work. The largest ones available are 200 GB.

Thank you
  • Reply 3 of 5
    IMPORTANT: For the MacBook, the maximum height of the 2.5" SATA drive is 9.5mm. As far as I currently understand.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    arcarc Posts: 3member
    I have seen a 1 terabyte HD before, but I'm certain it isn't compatible for Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

IMPORTANT: For the MacBook, the maximum height of the 2.5" SATA drive is 9.5mm. As far as I currently understand.

Yeah, but 12.5mm drives are becoming very rare anyway, so the chances of mistake on this one are low.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arc View Post

I have seen a 1 terabyte HD before, but I'm certain it isn't compatible for Mac.

Yeah, good luck putting a 3.5-inch hard drive into a laptop. Nothing to do with "Mac", and a lot with, uh, geometry?

That said, the largest 3.5-inch drive right now is 750 GBs, I believe, not 1 TB. What you saw was probably a 2x500 GBs array.