Cheetah & kernal panics question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My online friend uses the "gooseneck" iMac, with the original 10.0 OSX. She's been getting "kernal panics", and she gets messages from Darwin. At present she is not able to get into her User section.

Question is, can she upgrade from Cheetah right to Tiger? If so, what do you think she'll need to do before attempting that?

I will pass along your suggestions via phone. Hopefully at some point she can get on and come here for more direct help.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    She should be able to, but do an Archive & Install and not a straight upgrade since she's jumping so far.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonnyG View Post

My online friend uses the "gooseneck" iMac, with the original 10.0 OSX. She's been getting "kernal panics", and she gets messages from Darwin. At present she is not able to get into her User section.

Question is, can she upgrade from Cheetah right to Tiger? If so, what do you think she'll need to do before attempting that?

I will pass along your suggestions via phone. Hopefully at some point she can get on and come here for more direct help.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

What do you meen "gooseneck" iMac? Do you mean an "original iMac CTR G3?

IIRC these Computers require a Firmware update, in order to install

MacOs X. Maybe this is the reason why she suffers Kernel Panics.

Just a wild shot. Kernel Panics are almost always a good indication, that there is

something wrong with the Hardware (Ram, Motherboard, Drives etc.)