airport extreme card ...wireless N?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
is there any word on if there will be an airport extreme card wireless N? and if so, will the card work on g4 computers such as the iBook and 1st gen mac mini?........ where users can swap out their existing cards for an upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If they release one it should be able to work on any computers that use the same Airport Extreame card slot that the new computers have. The older AirPort cards use a different slot/connector which cannot handle the AirPort Extream card and bandwidth as I understand it so there will be no upgrade path for those. Even if Apple does not sell the cards there is a chance that you could pick one up through a parts channel or on e-bay, that is unless they get rid of the card and hard wire the circuits on the mother board which I have not heard that they are doing.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dopey423 View Post

is there any word on if there will be an airport extreme card wireless N? and if so, will the card work on g4 computers such as the iBook and 1st gen mac mini?........ where users can swap out their existing cards for an upgrade?

I am afraid there is no reason to expect this.

When Apple upgraded from 802.11b (Airport) to 802.11n (Airport Extreme), older G4 machines were stuck with the earlier standard, or had to use 3rd party solutions.

C.