Will there be iMac updates before Santa Rosa?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know no one has a crystal ball but I was wondering if new iMac updates are to be expected before the Santa Rosa chips are released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmac View Post

I was wondering if new iMac updates are to be expected before the Santa Rosa chips are released.

Probably not. The informed speculation would be that Apple will hold off on major hardware updates to its products that involve any display of some sort ? iMacs, Cinema Displays, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros. In addition to Santa Rosa, they are also waiting for Leopard and its resolution independence. In the meantime, I think we can expect updates to the Mac Pro and Mac mini between now and the end of March.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    No matter what the "little bird" thread says or implies, i don't believe that we will see soon new iMacs. I think that Apple will hold off until Santa Rosa becomes readily available.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    anyone know when the new macbook pros are coming with the NAND memory?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

anyone know when the new macbook pros are coming with the NAND memory?

Who knows?

Personally, I could care less about that feature.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    My WAG would be that updated iMacs come out in April and new MBPs in May, soon followed by MBs--all with Santa Rosa and Leopard.

Clovertown MPs really soon now. The Mac mini could be waiting on Santa Rosa.

I'm thinking Leopard will be ready by late March or April. The iPhone could be out around late April or May.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    y would you care less about that feature....makes your applications and boot-up time start in half the amount of time it does with current memory....ur kidding right? thats a pretty big deal at least for most of us
  • Reply 7 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

y would you care less about that feature....makes your applications and boot-up time start in half the amount of time it does with current memory....ur kidding right? thats a pretty big deal at least for most of us

I know. It's just that I want a # of other improvements to the MacBook Pro first. I am interested to see how NAND is implemented in Mac products, because I am sure that Apple will do a great job with it! But I just don't care if it makes it in the next iteration when I see so many other things I would rather have in a MacBook Pro like a user-removable hard drive.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Where do you need faster boot-up time for?

I don't know anybody who actually shutdown their MacBook (Pro), iMac or Powerbook on a daily basis. It's always on (or in sleep) until a software update comes along. Wake from sleep is instant.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Who knows?

Personally, I could care less about that feature.

Do you mean "couldn't care less"? If you could care less than you do, then you must care a bit. Right?

I know it's American-English v English-English, but I can't see how the American version makes any sense, it seems to say the opposite of what you mean.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    no, i don't think it is an American-English saying, it is just something that is commonly mispronounced. you are right, it makes no sense unless you add the "n't"
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

Where do you need faster boot-up time for?

I don't know anybody who actually shutdown their MacBook (Pro), iMac or Powerbook on a daily basis. It's always on (or in sleep) until a software update comes along. Wake from sleep is instant.

Why not ask your Mac to start up and shut down at certain times (like 20 minutes before the time you use it most of the time and 15,37 minutes after you leave it most of the time)? Honest question--that's what I think I'd do if I owned Mac. Isn't this way more energy-efficient, wear-efficient, and cool-efficient?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Dear ebaydan & Friends

Wouldn't you just love a Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign that'd completely launch within about five seconds?

That'd be a real jaw-dropper!

On my single-processor 733MHz G4 running OS X 10.4.8 with 1.25GB of memory, Photoshop takes approximately 45 seconds to launch, Illustrator may take a full minute, and InDesign takes nearly as long as Illustrator.

Sincerely,

Jaddie