CrossOver Mac 6.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have seen several mentions of this product on these forums. Some people seem to like it and others seem to hate it.



From what I can tell, it seems worth looking at and I love the idea of not having to buy Windows in order to run Windows apps.



I realize that not all Windows apps can run under it right now, but it looks like a lot do.



So what am I missing here?



For those who don't know about it click here.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    whoa nice looking app, however I wonder how well it will run games. That is what I need Windows for...one game, Guild Wars, which isn't supported by them. I'll try it out and see how it is.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Shadow Slayer, post back about your experiences. Please.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Well just got back from trying to get guild wars to work. It didn't work. After installing the archives the game tried to start up, the rest of the screen went black, except for the "Installing archives-100% Complete" Box and I couldn't do anything but restart the computer. I tried it twice, same result.



    However the program itself seems great and easy. If it supports the program you need, I can see it being very helpful.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    it supports steam, ie. half life, cs, etc... did you buy it or just download it?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post


    it supports steam, ie. half life, cs, etc... did you buy it or just download it?



    Just downloaded the trial. The one use I have for it is Guild Wars and it wasn't supported so I didn't want to buy it.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,178moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post


    I realize that not all Windows apps can run under it right now, but it looks like a lot do.



    So what am I missing here?



    The only advantage Crossover has is 3D support but it's a reverse engineered DirectX, which is not very compatible with games. For general applications, Parallels has far higher compatibility.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    yes parallels has better compatibility. however, parallels requires a windows license and a windows install. whereas crossover does not.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I thought that parallels didn't have 3d support? I was told this by someone in our forums. But whether it is or not, the best you can do is use boot camp so you can take advantage of everything your computer has to dish out.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,178moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent View Post


    yes parallels has better compatibility. however, parallels requires a windows license and a windows install. whereas crossover does not.



    True, if Crossover manage to achieve better compatibility to the point of being useful then it would be a very good program indeed. But since the software support is in practise very poor, it's not really usable at all. Even things like Office 2003 didn't work for me. I tried about 20 programs and the only ones that worked were winamp and Half-Life 2. Half-Life 2 was suprisingly stable, which made me wonder if it was one of Crossover's main goals.



    Parallels currently doesn't have 3D support and I don't have high hopes for it so I also recommend Bootcamp for gaming.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    That's too bad about Office not working right, as that's really what I was looking for (didn't want to have to buy a new version if I could get away without it).



    Hopefully, they will keep working on this app. If we could run some of the Windows apps without having to own, install and maintain Windoze itself, that would be my preferred route to go.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post


    That's too bad about Office not working right, as that's really what I was looking for (didn't want to have to buy a new version if I could get away without it).



    Hopefully, they will keep working on this app. If we could run some of the Windows apps without having to own, install and maintain Windoze itself, that would be my preferred route to go.



    I'll jump in on this thread. I downloaded and installed CrossOver without any problems. I then installed Office Pro. 2003 and SP1 and SP2, again with no problems - for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Everything that I needed to work did - except - hyperlinks. Hyperlinks are my life blood because my work papers are essentially electronic. If CrossOver gets this resolved I would jump on this program quickly. As it is Parallels works without a hitch - very fast and stable, at least for me. Also VMware's Fusion works very well in its current beta.



    So I will continue to wait and see what happens with CrossOver seeing as how the only Windows programs I really need are mentioned above and CrossOver would actually be perfect for me.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synapcoreb View Post


    So I will continue to wait and see what happens with CrossOver seeing as how the only Windows programs I really need are mentioned above and CrossOver would actually be perfect for me.



    Hmmm, I wonder why it worked for you and not for Marvin?



    Curious....
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post


    Hmmm, I wonder why it worked for you and not for Marvin?



    Curious....



    Good question. I am running it on a iMac 2 GB Core Duo 20". All I did was download and install CrossOver, then Office Pro. 2003 then SP1 and finally SP2. I did not install any other programs. And if the hyper-links would have worked, I would have bought it then and there.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,178moderator
    I'll try it again with the new version of Crossover. I'm finding NeoOffice to be a bit slow so it would be a good replacement.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I'll try it again with the new version of Crossover. I'm finding NeoOffice to be a bit slow so it would be a good replacement.



    I also have NeoOffice. Granted it is slow opening, but after it opens I find it to be reasonably fast. The only reason I am not using it is because it has a tendency to crash. That may have been because I did not have the most current patch (#12 I believe) or other reasons I am not aware of. Also its new version 2.1 is due to be released at the end of March. I will give it another try then.



    When you try CrossOver again - try not to have any other programs running. The only program I had in the background was Mail. Good luck.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Has anyone played cs 1.6 on crossover? And if so is it fast and does it operate decently?
Sign In or Register to comment.