Is Apple missing the good vibe?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Ok, touchy ground here...

I've been a Mac afficionado since buying a Performa 630 at 13 (?) many years ago. I love Apple - it's one of the firms I feel, depressingly, I've partly sold my soul to. I'm thrilled at their recovery, growth, growth explosion with the iPod and the almost universal respect achieved by OS X.

However, whilst not knowing the terms of Greenpeace's campaign against Apple I think that times are a-changing, and Apple - as a pioneer - could be missing the boat, or rather the chance to take a lead. I'd assume that Greenpeace's targeting of Apple is smart. Apple is an innovator, and the computer firm most associated with cool. It's a trend setter, a path blazer. If you're a hip student, kid (or even adult) you use Apple. So, if Apple can take the eco-lead then it would be yet another thing that other makers would feel the need to shamelessly follow. It would be yet another trend that Apple had set for the others.

Perhaps such a move might be cynical, but companies seem to get away with it. A car compnay builds one not that hot eco-car and it's seen as green; another sponsors London buses running on alternative energy - it's an eco-pioneer. The Honda F1 team are going to run their cars this year in an eco-livery. Sounds counter intuitive, but I think it will prove to be a cynical yet intelligent piece of marketing.

In a similar vein - whatever you say, I say, we all say about Bill Gates, his foundation and the amount he is giving to charity is staggeringly impressive. Yes, relatively it might not be a huge sum, I've read criticisms of some of his charity's work and there have been complaints about their investment portfolio (I understand these have been addressed). As a lover of Apple I can't help feeling that given the amount Steve and others have made, especially when there is the whiff - however fair or unfair - that they may have made more than they should, that I might just feel a little better if Apple was shown to be spreading some of its wealth too.

Unnecessary? Cynical? Sop?

Perhaps, but every little helps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Relax. Take a deep breath. And stay away from the Eco-FUDsters of Greenpeace.

Greenpeace knows nothing if they go after Apple

Top Secret: Greenpeace Report Misleading and Incompetent

Greenpeace Apologizes For Apple Stink

There. Feel better now?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    But I never attempted to address the substance of Greenpeace's attack - as I said, I've not read it. But the chance to return an old system like in the States is not available in the UK. I have no idea if it is avilable anywhere outside of the US. Also, I love my iMac, really love it. But it is designed to be replaced, not upgraded. Fair enough - the beauty of the AIO, but I'd like Apple to take a lead in making the environmental footprint of such a system smaller. I'd like the iPod's to be too. Because, as I know, they seem to go wrong or the battery dies relatively early in an iPod's life.

Apple could take a lead here. One hopes that it is part of its corporate DNA that it should.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Or, again, you could stop swallowing the FUD... I have a first gen iPod. First gen. It's on its original battery. Yes, I'm replacing it soon, but come on - how many AAs would I have gone through in those years? Even rechargables?

Recycling programs for computers = excellent. Rationally approaching the issues based on facts, instead of rumor, speculation, and FUD = necessary.

Apple ain't perfect, no doubt about it. I'd like to see them step up to the plate more as well, but bringing up the Greenpeace yahoos, or their idiotic PR stunts, just makes the argument horribly flawed.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I've just said that I'm not referring to Greenpeace. I would say that if you still have a first generation iPod then you are extremely lucky. I had a first that died after two years and then a 3rd gen (was that the one with the four buttons and scroll wheel?) that died just out of warranty because the hard drive went wrong.

I think we probably agree. Apple could do more. It would be nice if they did. Yes, we've probably saved loads on AA batteries, but this isn't a thread to congratulate what Apple has done, but what it could do. Why can't the wireless keyboard and mouse be rechargable? We agree that recycling computers is a good idea. Apple is a global company, so why can't its recycling scheme be global? I think all of these are perfectly fair questions.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    There's 2 reasons that the "Apple vibe" is "missing" in your view. Firstly, they are a much bigger company now with quarterly *profits* approaching/reaching 1 billion USD. Secondly, the iPod madness means that they are a very mainstream, publicly visible company, rather than the "fun little user groups and super 1337 Mac-heads" of the 90's.

iPod has made a step in reducing packaging, that is very clear with their laptop and iPod boxes. Seriously. Secondly, iPod RED is out. Some may call this corporate "greenwashing", for me, it's good enough to keep my Apple interest and focus "legit" in my mind. Well, helps me sleeep at night.

Apple can take a stronger lead in environmental management. Maybe Jobs is not fully focusing on environmental clear corporate leadership (compared to other companies) yet. Or, he does his own billionaire-charity-stuff in the quiet on the side.

I donno... Just a few cents from me mind.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I am currently in Australia, and I agree Apple Australia HQ should provide for taking in old Macs for recycling. The funny thing is, they won't get much people bringing in anything at all. I have seen a ton of old Macs either still being used or "collected" by various people. It's all the beigebox cheapo stuff that gets dumped - old CRTs and keyboards and towers.

"Never throw away" is better than "Recycle" when it comes to computers... ... iPod recycling should be widespread though, since those kinda die after a few years (battery, etc.)...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I completely agree with you. And yes, of course, it is in part down to Apple's greater success. Obviously as they become more mainstream and sucessful they are more likely to be targeted or singled out for failings. But with greater success comes greater responsibility. And I think we would just like them to move in that direction. I agree that the packaging issue has been well addressed.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I've just said that I'm not referring to Greenpeace.

You're right, but unfortunately, that's what a lot of folks are going by, under the assumption that GP is rainbows and puppies altruistic, and not Yet Another PR Mongering Corporation.

Quote:

I would say that if you still have a first generation iPod then you are extremely lucky. I had a first that died after two years and then a 3rd gen (was that the one with the four buttons and scroll wheel?) that died just out of warranty because the hard drive went wrong.

Oh no doubt I lucked out on my iPod - love the old girl.

Quote:

I think we probably agree. Apple could do more. It would be nice if they did. Yes, we've probably saved loads on AA batteries, but this isn't a thread to congratulate what Apple has done, but what it could do. Why can't the wireless keyboard and mouse be rechargable? We agree that recycling computers is a good idea. Apple is a global company, so why can't its recycling scheme be global? I think all of these are perfectly fair questions.

Absolutely. I think it was the lead off with GP that soured people here. Okay, soured *me*, but I'm a crotchety old fart.

And yeah, I agree about the keyboard/mouse - OTOH, that would had quite a bit of price to a unit where they don't *need* to save every last mm^3 of space, so it's a balance. \
  • Reply 9 of 10
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Oh no doubt I lucked out on my iPod - love the old girl...

My iPod Mini died after about 1.5 years in terms of it's music playing ability (battery problem I think)... But given it is a 1st gen and has, OMFG a HARD DISK 4gb inside, the hard disk side of things is still sweet. Rock solid mini-hard-disk, whatever brand they used. And the FW400 connection, gives 4gb FLASH-memory USB2.0 connections a run for their money - 2 years later. ...Using it for quick SneakerNet* 4gb.... It ain't going anywhere NEAR a recycle bin yet

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet