Beer thread...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Got a few extra dollars this paycheck, and I'm thinkin' about going over to BevMo and spending a few of them on some different beers I've never tried.

Any suggestions? What's everyone's favorite beer here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Dark: Mackeson's Triple Stout.

Not Dark: Stella Artois.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Shephard Neame's Bishops Finger, Theakston's Old Peculier, Black Sheep Ale, Ruddles County, Marstons Pedigree, Greene King IPA, Fuller's London Pride/ESB, Youngs Special. Czech Budvar, Belgian Leffe Blond. Sheesh, I sound like an old beer drone. I think I'll go downstairs and open a cold Becks.Cheers.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I think I was looking for a reason why perhaps. The way this is going, I might as well play eenie meenie miney mo over there.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Let's see, " Any suggestions? What's everyones favourite beer here?" I'm sorry if I took that as an opportunity to list some cracking real ales and proper lagers. See if BevMo stock any of my suggestions/favourites.As to why ......I think I chose them because they're a varied selection of well-made, great tasting beers. They have alcohol in them, and they make me smarter and irresitible to men and women. Try one.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I figured it was self-explanitory. I will ask about your Marstons Pedigree. But only because I played Miney Mo...

BTW, You like beer more than Bubba Gump likes shrimp.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    As far as mainstream beers go, my favorite is becks. I like good pilsners. I also really like most of the Obolon beers, but they are hard to come by. The 500mL bottle is the real deal.

If you could give me an idea of a few of the beers you're looking at, I can give advice. Otherwise, there are thousands of beers, many of them are different.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Well my favorite domestic beer would have to be Sam Adams. There's nothing better than a pint of Sam Adams on tap.

As far as imported, I'm a big Duvel fan. It's a Belgium beer and pretty rare. But it tastes great and packs a mean punch. Around 8.0 if I'm not mistaken...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Lindeman's Framboise if you're into fruity lambics.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Well my favorite domestic beer would have to be Sam Adams. There's nothing better than a pint of Sam Adams on tap.

As far as imported, I'm a big Duvel fan. It's a Belgium beer and pretty rare. But it tastes great and packs a mean punch. Around 8.0 if I'm not mistaken...

The Dupont Saison is probably the best Belgian Ale I've had, although Ommegang from NY does a decent one at a much lower price. But the fact that you love Sam Adams makes things easy, because you'll probably like a lot of the other overworked American ales, lagers, and IPAs. Rogue is in Oregon, so you might want to give them a try. I don't like any of their beers except the Morimoto Buckwheat, but they are all overworked (as familiar to the American microbrew style) and should be easy enough to come by. Sierra Nevada and Shinerbock may also be worth a shot. Otherwise, I just recommend that you try American microbrews since you seem to like that basic character. The European beers that you might like are too hard to come by unless you live in DC and can go to Chevy Chase Liquors or, better yet, the Brickskeller.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Don't get me wrong, I love Sam Adams, but I'm looking to branch out a little further than just the American microbrews. I think I love those beers because that's basically the only thing I surround myself by.

Sierra Nevada is probably the most popular ale here in Northern California.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    Berghoff's Dark Lager. My favorite German beer is Eichbaum pilsner.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    My two current favorites are both Pale Ales.

1 -- Whistler Brewing Company's Classic Pale Ale (probably the best quality water you could find in any beer on the Planet)

http://www.whistlerbeer.com/beer/classic-pale-ale.htm

2 -- Okanagan Springs' Extra Special Pale Ale

http://www.okspring.com/beer_pale_ale.html

I would love recommendations for delicious Amber Ales, preferably brewed with ultra pure water, and available in/easily importable to Canada.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I love Sam Adams, but I'm looking to branch out a little further than just the American microbrews. I think I love those beers because that's basically the only thing I surround myself by.

Sierra Nevada is probably the most popular ale here in Northern California.

Well, there are beers from basically everywhere, and they have many different tastes. This isn't something where I can really help you -- you need to just go out and try 'em. I think I may have had over 1000 different kinds of beer. I forget a lot of them, but the really good ones and really bad ones I remember.

I suggest you do this:

1) go to the store

2) write down (or remember) a bunch of the beers you haven't had

3) buy some Becks (or whatever)

I might be able to help you on the beers you've written down. If I can't, I'm sure someone else can. But it's too hard to give you suggestions when I don't know what's available at your local stores. If this is all too much effort, then my suggestion is to just try all of the readily available continental brews, then american brews, japanese brews, etc. That's what I did, region by region. It gives you a feel for the different ingredients used in the different regions.

And if you can find 'em, don't shy away from Ukrainian beers. In addition to easter eggs, it's one department where they beat the world.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Lately, it's been Longboard Island Lager.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Any suggestions? What's everyone's favorite beer here?

Hey, if you really are Guybrush Threepwood then you should know that the greatest of drinks is of course GROG! Tsk tsk.