MacBook not outputting via built in speakers, desperately need help

pzrpzr
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
FIXED!!! I JAMMED A WOODEN COCKTAIL STICK IN THE PORT

HI guys, I desperately need help for this.

It all started when I was watching some videos and listening to some music with speakers plugged into the 3.5mm jack, I unplugged them and then no sound was coming out of my speakers, I just got every time I pressed any of the volume buttons.

I get this with speakers connected to the 3.5mm jack

And this without

And whenever there is nothing plugged into the 3.5mm socket, then the red optical beam is shining out as if it's still trying to connect to whatevers plugged in to the 3.5mm socket.

I get this on audio midi set up

So I formatted eventually since I couldn't get any help on how to fix it, and now I don't even get when I press up and down volume buttons, I just get the speaker with nothing underneath it when I press the mute button.

Also another thing, I always get sound from the speakers on start up even before formatting and reinstalling Tiger, and can adjust the volume for about a second after start up, then it stops working again.

So I'm desperately in need of help, I've had it for less than a year but really don't want to have to deal with Cancom (where I bought it) or Apple to sort it out.

Please help me.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bevosbevos Posts: 59member
    Havn't seen that before but sound/volume setting are kept in the PRAM. Zap your PRAM to reset it, that might help.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You know, I was going to say that it sounds like a hardware issue, probably from it not recognizing the headphone jack being removed, and that all the software fixes in the world weren't going to change that, but...

...I was going to suggest trying a different headphone jack, and maybe take it an Apple Store. Wooden cocktail stick? Genius.