Why the current Mac ad campaign is rubbish, by Charlie Brooker (UK journalist)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've just come across a blog entry by Charlie Brooker (UK journalist) that sums up better than I ever could why the current Mac ad campaign is total rubbish. The ads are annoying, preaching to the converted hyperbole that serve only to reinforce stereotypes about Mac users.

You can read it here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I hate him. That's all I can say. He seems to like PC's because they are harder...? ? Lol and then he doesn't like Macs because they "have one mouse button." When was the last time he used a Mac?

Though his argument about the Mac seems to be coming from the standpoint of the "Mac" is really a "Mac-user" and a "PC" is really a "PC-User." Many people fail to see the difference.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Well, it would seem that the article went right over your head. It was prompted by the advertising campaign, and that is what it is (mainly) about.

Charlie is always vitriolic. He's incredibly rude about everything. I always find it highly amusing to read the new ways he's come up with to be rude.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Peter Cohen, Senior Editor, MacWorld.com wrote:

Quote:

Sarcasm is tough to recognize sometimes, but Charlie Brooker is definitely being sarcastic -- that's his M.O.

At one point in his career, he specialized at writing insults to anyone who wrote in to PC Zone magazine, where he was reviewing games.

So don't take Brooker seriously -- plant your tongue in your cheek before reading this.

• Reply 4 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Junk.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussS View Post

Peter Cohen, Senior Editor, MacWorld.com wrote:

Exactly.

He's making fun of the ads and the people who he thinks are too invested in this debate. (See the comments below.)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    The sarcasm is too much... These UK writers and creatives all come from a history of absurdist comedy. While American comedy may be "simple" and "dumbed down", at least American and Australian comedy and sense-of-humour is a bit more down-to-earth. UK comedy with sarcastic, ironic, uncomfortable moments, are really full-on. Like I said, from its history of absurdism - which produced classics like BlackAdder and Fawlty Towers, though in more recent times, I don't know. Modern Britain continues to confound me.