Windows Vista Speech?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there anything like windows vista speech for osx? I think it'd be fun to goof around telling my computer what to open and what not, plus I wouldn't mind distating notes in text pads, if there was someway to dictate screenplays in final draft I would cry tears of joy. This is apparently one of the new things about vista. Is there a way to do this in OSX without buying anything?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You did check that "Speech" preference pane, right?



    Mac OS X has always had this. It's extensible through AppleScript and such.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post


    You did check that "Speech" preference pane, right?



    Mac OS X has always had this. It's extensible through AppleScript and such.



    Not to mention Leopard will have greatly enhanced Text to Speach options and more realistic voices!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, this is another example of a 'new innovation' in Vista being something that has been in MacOS X for *years*... but no one knows about.



    It's almost frustrating, I tell ya.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    Yeah, this is another example of a 'new innovation' in Vista being something that has been in MacOS X for *years*... but no one knows about.



    It's almost frustrating, I tell ya.



    Actually this was in the Mac OS even prior to version 10
  • Reply 5 of 10
    "MAKE THIS ITEM SPEAKABLE"



    God, I have been using speech since forever... for basic tasks I almost never use a mouse anymore. It is such a part of my daily routine that I don't think about it anymore.



    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/speech/



    Windoze is just getting this with Vista? God they are behind the times.



    10.5 should be really nice.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/accessibility.html



    All I can say is...... WOW.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    This is the panel from system prefs:







    (Apple doesn't mind if we link to their site, do they?)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post


    Is there anything like windows vista speech for osx? I think it'd be fun to goof around telling my computer what to open and what not, plus I wouldn't mind distating notes in text pads, if there was someway to dictate screenplays in final draft I would cry tears of joy. This is apparently one of the new things about vista. Is there a way to do this in OSX without buying anything?



    Sorry guys, OS X don't allow such Vista features as the dictate through speakable itens. Try IBM Viavoice.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,228moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woreno View Post


    Sorry guys, OS X don't allow such Vista features as the dictate through speakable itens. Try IBM Viavoice.



    Yup, OS X speech is a totally different thing - it is text to speech. The OP wants speech to text. Speakable items comes closer but it's nowhere near a speech to text program. One of my family members used ilisten and was very impressed with it:



    http://www.macspeech.com/



    Pretty incredible quote they have on their site too:



  • Reply 9 of 10
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Mac OS Speach allows users to dictate what they want their system to do, IE, "open folder" etc. At least it use to be like that in Mac OS 9, dunno why they would not have brought this to Mac OS 10.



    There are also some cool jokes



    Knock knock?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Yeah, iListen has been out for *ages* and work fine.



    On the other hand, it was fun in the old days whenever I sneezed, my mac would fire up Diablo I...
Sign In or Register to comment.