CALM DOWN, and let Microsoft destroy itself

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Look at IBM 20 years ago. It was a leader in the computer world where now it's on the back burner. The same will happen with Microsoft and the reasons are obviously becoming more apparent with this latest operating system. They are still playing like they have all the cards, but are slowly loosing face (cards). As soon as Apple gets their chips cross compatible with PC programs, or more software companies take on Apple computer OS's, Microsoft is doomed. So my suggestion to all the Mac "pushers" is to let the big bullies be, they will all go eventually.

(Linus Torvalds rules)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    It seems to me that the only thing that Microsoft is still doing right is Office. I see their market share to make a dramatic drop in the next 3-5 years.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

It seems to me that the only thing that Microsoft is still doing right is Office. I see their market share to make a dramatic drop in the next 3-5 years.

I doubt this. Every PC manufacturer in the world would have to stop pre-installing Windows for this to be even remotely possible.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I doubt this. Every PC manufacturer in the world would have to stop pre-installing Windows for this to be even remotely possible.

But that assumes that PC users will ALL upgrade to Windows machines in the next 3-5 years. We're already seeing a lot of people "Get a Mac" and that will probably continue.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Microsoft isn't going anywhere. They will own the desktop (51+%) for decades.

Unfortunately for them the computing business is leaving the desktop and the big bucks are going to be going mobile with "good enough" performance designed for Joe six-pack non-gamer or Suzy business who needs email, network connectivity and light access to Office docs.

I say again Microsoft is going nowhere. And that ain't good for them, not that I give a rats patootie.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Of course by dramatic I meant 10-20%.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I say again Microsoft is going nowhere. And that ain't good for them, not that I give a rats patootie.

That's funny and so true.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I predict that Apple will be the dominant figure in handheld computing in 5 years. Those handhelds will create another "halo" effect whereby those users want the same experience on their computer at home as what they take with them.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Well, I bet most of the PC manufacturers would LOVE to end the Windows tax on every machine. If there was an actual legitimate competitor to Windows (Linux anyone? OS X on generics?), don't you see how much negotiating power manufactures would have with MS? All it will take is for one big PC maker to seriously offer Linux support, then things might start to crumble.