New macbook. help please!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got my macbook refurbished from the apple store online. I love it so far. But I've run into some issues. For one, when powering up the computer after shutting it down, it sometimes loads up to the grey screen with the apple logo on it, and will restart itself several times before booting up into the main screen.

Also, sometimes, it will take a comprobably long time to load up from the grey. Others it will boot up / load up fine. I'm taking it to genius bar tomorrow night, but was wondering if anyone else ran into similar problems, or knew how to remedy it, or where the source of the problem is? I'm in a total bind and could really use some advice. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Do you have any USB devices connected to it when booting? I've noticed if my iPod is connected when I boot it goes to grey screen and the fans all come on while it's not booting.

Make sure there's nothing plugged in except for the power cord. Not that it should be that way, but sometimes it is.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Could be a motherboard/ power management/ nvram/ pram issue. Use these 4 words with the Apple Genius, he'll consider all of them. I'm no Apple Genius, and people may call "Voodoo" on this, but that's usually the first 4 things to look at when having these challenges.

Definitely not normal behaviour so you would need to firmly (but not rudely) get the issue sorted out. Good luck .
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xfire2flamesx View Post

I got my macbook refurbished from the apple store online. I love it so far. But I've run into some issues. For one, when powering up the computer after shutting it down, it sometimes loads up to the grey screen with the apple logo on it, and will restart itself several times before booting up into the main screen.

Also, sometimes, it will take a comprobably long time to load up from the grey. Others it will boot up / load up fine. I'm taking it to genius bar tomorrow night, but was wondering if anyone else ran into similar problems, or knew how to remedy it, or where the source of the problem is? I'm in a total bind and could really use some advice. Thanks everyone!

Did you install your own ram? I've heard that sometimes non-apple tested ram can cause weird issues. That said, I've used ram from crucial.com for years without issue, so it's likely not a big issue.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I didn't install the RAM myself. The specs on it are : 1.83 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 512 RAM.

I'll definately drop those 4 words to the genius. I hope Apple won't let me down. I seriously bought the thing no more than a month ago!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    xfire2flamesx, how did you get on with 'Genius'?

I've been living with the same issue for the last 7 months and interested to see that the problem is not limited to me. I could never seem to find any report of this issue on the Apple site. Would be useful to know if this issue is recognized by Apple Support before calling them.

My MacBook now has a bunch of problems I'm going to have to bite-the-bullet and part with the thing for a few days whilst all the bugs are hopefully repaired.