Can I just give up on an itunes subscription service?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have been waiting very patiently. I have read many articles by insiders over the months and years suggesting it was around the corner or that it would never come at all. I'm beginning to believe the latter.

I love ipods, but I really think I could experience a wider variety of music with a subscription service.

Should I just break down and buy another type of mp3 player, or is there any hope or any rumors that itunes will offer a subscription service in the future?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I think music services like URGE allow subscription. Don't use the Zune, because you can only "rent" the songs...once your subscription runs out, so does the song usage.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gustava View Post

I have been waiting very patiently. I have read many articles by insiders over the months and years suggesting it was around the corner or that it would never come at all. I'm beginning to believe the latter.

I wonder who wrote such articles, considering that Jobs has publicly trashed subscription services in public. It's not gonna happen.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

I think music services like URGE allow subscription. Don't use the Zune, because you can only "rent" the songs...once your subscription runs out, so does the song usage.

This is the point of subscription services: The files become useless if you don't pay.

If that's what you want, go with the Zune (unless you have a Mac). At least you also get the integrated model, were Microsoft makes Hardware, Software and Service.

However, I don't get it... how fast do you guys go through songs? I purchase about 6 albums/year and it comletely fulfills me in terms of adding them to my regular listenings, understanding the music, learning to love it and all the while balancing this with still listening to my other favorites.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gustava View Post

As far as I've heard so far, the subscription businesses out there aren't making much money for anyone. What would motivate anyone at Apple to change their minds about subscription services (something they've been pretty negative about up until now, and apparently rightly so)??
  • Reply 5 of 9
    amexamex Posts: 12member
    I just record music from itunes (radio). works great, endless possibilities, music I never knew existed and legal.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It's all a mind set. I feel more comfortable buying and owning legal rights to a song, and I would feel a little weird if I just paid to "borrow" for a time. It's all in which light you view it in.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Me, personally, I'd stick with just basic per-song purchases. Subscription services sound great, but you don't get to keep the songs, so there's really no point.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    There are lots of things I would like to see out of iTunes.

High def movies and tv shows.

IPTV through Apple TV.

Subscription service.

I havn't given up hope on them, Apple will do it when the Steve thinks the time is right!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple wont do subscription for music, but they will for TV Shows. If they eventually have enought TV shows on there, and offer some live content like sports and news etc. then people could drop their cable service and go with iTunes iPTV service.