Please help...Internet shuts off while not using computer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my iMac will always shut off the internet when i am not sitting at the computer. i am blessed with only haveing 56k in my area so i must sometimes download things overnight, but the computer will turn off the internet even if its not asleep. also i will be using the internet and a stupid do you want to stay connected box will come up, can i fix it so that my internet wont shut off?? please help. thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Are you using Apple USB Modem or built-in modem? go to System Prefences > Network. Under there try and check the settings for Modem... I think hat is happening is that there is an "idle timeout" - that means that somehow there is a time limit where it will then shut off. Check somewhere in the modem settings under System Prefences > Network.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I don't have an answer to your question, but try what sunilraman suggested.

Slow 'Net sucks. Isn't there Cable 'Net available there!?

If not, ya could get Satellite 'Net, which is a lot faster than slow Dial-up.

Here is a Satellite Internet company called Galaxy Broadband, whose Satellite Internet services are available in Canada.

http://www.galaxybroadband.ca/Galaxy_Broadband_residential_solutions.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galaxy Broadband

Discover The Freedom

No matter where you live, vacation or work, Galaxy Broadband satellite internet service delivers high-speed web access - anywhere, all the time.

Enjoy internet speeds up to 20 times faster than dial-up and reliable satellite service you can always count on - all at a price that's truly affordable!

Galaxy Broadband is one of Canada's fastest growing and most experienced two-way satellite internet service providers and national distributor for Hughes HUGHESNET®.

Benefits

Download speeds up to 1.0 Mbps.

• Always “on” (no dialing in or login on)

• Free-up your phone line

• No long distance charges

• The most reliable satellite internet service available

Compatible with Windows® and Macintosh® based systems

Multiple concurrent users

Unlimited satellite internet surfing hours

• Email storage

• 5 free email accounts

• A National Distributor for HUGHES™ HUGHESNET®

Check it out.