problem with lc II (im serious)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey I just picked up an old LC II. Got it for free with a bunch of other randome computer stuff. Anyways, when I turn it on I get a grey screen with a white disk in the middle and a flashing question mark. The mouse is active but that is all.

How would I go about addressing this? I'd really like to get this computer working for kicks at the least.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Sounds like the OS is borked/non-existent.

From here it looks like 7.6.1 is the most recent system that the machine can take. See if you can find a copy somewhere.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omega View Post

Sounds like the OS is borked/non-existent.

From here it looks like 7.6.1 is the most recent system that the machine can take. See if you can find a copy somewhere.

HTH

I found a site to download now i have a follow up.

Would I have to go mac to mac to ensure compatibility? I can only locate a pc with a floppy anymore. \
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve2323 View Post

I can only locate a pc with a floppy anymore. \

You get USB floppy drives for Macs:

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-FDD-US.../dp/B00006BAP8
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You get USB floppy drives for Macs:

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-FDD-US.../dp/B00006BAP8

That's not really answering my question. I'm aware of that option, but would prefer one of less expense.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Don't think it has USB ports.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    No usb ports but it should have a built in floppy drive as I had one a long time ago
  • Reply 7 of 9
    He can't start-up the LC2 yet... so its floppy doesn't do him any good. He needs one he can plug into his newer mac, to MAKE a bootable floppy for the LC2.

I don't know for sure, but I think that would probably have to be created on a Mac... I'm not sure that Windows would format the disc properly to be recognized by the LC2.

If you're near Houston, you're welcome to come and get the external USB Floppy drive I have that hasn't been used in years

OR....

I could try to create a floppy for you... if I can download the system you need, I could put it on a disc and send it to you. It'd be fun to actually use a floppy disc again!! ... well, maybe not FUN....
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve2323 View Post

That's not really answering my question. I'm aware of that option, but would prefer one of less expense.

I just checked a download site for one of the old systems and it has 19 image files. This didn't even mount in OS X. I just checked and I have a set of the original system 7.5 disks and there are 7 floppies altogether.

I dusted off my old USB floppy drive and tried one of the disks and it didn't mount in OS X either. If it doesn't work in OS X, I doubt it will work in Windows.

The only way you might get it to work is if you run an OS 9 emulator that supports external drives, put your LC drive into an enclosure and install onto it that way.

I'd say the best option is to try and buy a set of disks on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Macintosh-System...QQcmdZViewItem

Does it have to be Mac OS that you put on it? You might be better trying some Linux distro.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I had a somewhat similar problem. I used a networked begie G3 to get both the images and the floppy (in OS9).

I have this specific program that only run in OS 7 so I have a old 7600/132 were I run the program in the OS 7.5.3 partition, reboot into OS 9 and then transfer to a USB stick and then to my OS X mac...

If the LCII revets to B&W and the dates are screwed up the pram battery is dead. At least it boots, not like the LC475