Quicksilver; Can i speed it up?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i just inherited an 800MHZ Quicksilver.

Is there any point to ugrading the processor, graphics card, or HD to boost performance

( I am primarily using iPHOTO and Photoshop )

or is it just a waste of money.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clausssen View Post

i just inherited an 800MHZ Quicksilver.

Is there any point to ugrading the processor, graphics card, or HD to boost performance

( I am primarily using iPHOTO and Photoshop )

or is it just a waste of money.

thanks

You can get dual CPU upgrades and GPU upgrades that will significantly improve the performance of the machine but it's only worth it if you can get the upgrades cheaper than a base model Mac Mini because the Core Duo chips are 4x faster than the G4 chips comparing similar clock speeds.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can get dual CPU upgrades and GPU upgrades that will significantly improve the performance of the machine but it's only worth it if you can get the upgrades cheaper than a base model Mac Mini because the Core Duo chips are 4x faster than the G4 chips comparing similar clock speeds.

If it's a single G4 800,you could always get a dual 800 or 1ghz board,sometimes they go for very cheap on eBay.Also,you could add a PCI SATA card (OWC sells one for around 45,no drivers needed) with dual ports and hook up a Raptor drive.

This is what I did for my mom,who had an ageing G3 500 with 1Gb RAM:

I found a dual 800 with 512 RAM for 125,added the PCI SATA card and yesterday picked up a Raptor 150Gb for an amazing $120 from someone local who needed the cash.I had a spare 512 stick of RAM so let's see:

120+125+50 for the card=295 total and this hard drive kicks some serious ass with its 10,000 r.p.m. and 16Mb of cache running Tiger.So now this machine has 1Gb RAM with an empty slot,a superfast drive with plenty of storage room for her for less than 300 dollars and still can be upgraded in the future...