1) Apple + Space

2) Type F-I-R-E

3) Apple + ENTER

Quicksilver:

1) CTRL + Space

2) Type F-I-R-E

3) ENTER

Ok, so I save a keystroke.

With that in mind, considering that Quicksilver takes 30-40 megs of RAM, is there any reason I should keep running it, or just rely on Spotlight?

Thought?

Quicksilver fans, feel free to deliver a spirited defence and do your best to convince me otherwise

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    If I'm launching an App I use Quicksilver. If I'm searching for a documnet etc. I normally use Spotlight. I have found where Spotlight is most useful is not in the menubar, but within apps. Mail, iPhoto System Prefs etc. I edited Quicksilver launch keys to Command+` cause I found my hand/fingers seems to want to naturally land there.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I don't know, I have my quicksilver button set to F1 and it is easier to use than spotlight...it also seems quicker. Trust me, for a while I didn't like quicksilver but after a while it grew on me.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I use QuickSilver just because it works so much faster than Spotlight.

I'm not sure why yours takes up 40MB of RAM, mine only uses 25MB. Did you install a whole bunch of the plugins?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I think the fastest way to invoke QuickSilver is by tapping the 'Command' key twice. Have you guys tried it?

As for the main discussion, QuickSilver is obviously a lot better than Spotlight for launching applications and in my case, looking up Address Book contacts.